Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tuesday....Take me Away

I wish I could say Calgon....Take me Away just like in the old commercials and have it happen.  Unfortunately it is Tuesday and Christmas is fast approaching.  Instead of sitting here blogging, still in my nightie at 9:30 in the morning I might add, I should have my morning goals completed and be out the door.  But the party last night was very nice and the last guests did not leave until almost 11.  By the time I wound down and went to bed it was nearly midnight.  At 3 am I awoke thinking that I heard the puppy whining to go potty but when I got up and opened her crate, inviting her to go outside with me, she raised her head...looked at me as if I were nuts...and went back to sleep.  I was not so lucky, the last time I looked at the clock it was 5:15.  At 5:30 I awoke again because this time the puppy really did want out.  Frank very gallantly took on that duty but as soon as they came in the puppy jumped on me and wanted attention.  Frank just stayed up then and fed her and his day started. I fell back to sleep around 6 and the next thing I knew Frank was shaking me and telling me it was 8:20 and Mom was beginning to stir...so it has been a slow start to the day.

I am going to pause in my writings right now and get my morning routine done so that I can finally start my day properly.  Even if it is already 10 am.  Ugh.

I am back and I got a lot accomplished.  I was able to get to the Food Pantry and drop off several cases of food that Kim had donated, I delivered back packs to schools and I got some more Christmas gifts marked off my list.

I know that I promised you we would finish up the soup we started on Saturday the next day but life got in the way, so we will finish it up today. 

 
When i had left the soup on Saturday, I had taken all bones and scraps from the vegetables I had used and placed them in the stockpot with salt and pepper.
I covered this with water, brought it to a boil, reduced the heat and simmered for several hours.
After the stock had simmered, I removed it from the heat and let it cool.
I removed the strainer with all the solids.
Removed the meat from the bones, cutting it into bite size pieces.
I returned the meat to the stock and placed it in the refrigerator until today.

 
I diced one small onion and minced 2 cloves of garlic.
Sautéed these in a Dutch oven until translucent but not brown.
 
 
I removed the fat that had hardened on the refrigerated broth.
Strained the broth through a fine mesh sieve into another container and reserving the meat.
Add the meat to the onions and garlic and heat through.
Then add 5 cups of the strained broth to the Dutch oven.
The remaining broth can be refrigerated and used any time a recipe calls for beef broth.
 
Add 3/4 cup of Quick Barley.
 
 
And 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables.
 
 
1/2 t. of thyme, 1 T. Worcestershire sauce and 2 beef bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil and boil for 5-7 min.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
 
 
Enjoy.
 
Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
 
1/2 lb. leftover cooked beef cut into bite size pieces
5 c. beef broth
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. cooking oil.
3/4 c. quick cooking barley
1 can diced tomatoes with the juices
1 c. frozen mixed vegetables
1 t. thyme
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 beef bouillon cubes
 
Saute onion and garlic in dutch oven in 1 T. cooking oil until translucent but not brown.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes.  Reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.  Print Recipe
 
Today is also Try it Tuesday.  You can find the recipe for Ham and Noodle Casserole here.
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I made your chicken pot pie tonight...using the last of the turkey. It was delicious. Harley didn't like the thyme or the carrots but the rest of us licked our plates clean. Thanks for your recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. And isn't it Easy Peasy? Next time just leave out the thyme and Harley can just pick out the carrots.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.