Sunday, May 3, 2020

Copycat Buddy's Antipasto Salad #OurFamilyTable

Buddy's Pizza started in Detroit in 1946 and now has 11 restaurants in Michigan.  Food Network recognized it as one of the five best pizzarias in the USA.  I agree.  We love Buddy's Pizza but what we love even more than their pizza is their Antipasto Salad.

Copycat Buddy's Antipasto Salad

Fresh romaine, tomatoes and cucumbers tossed in a red wine vinaigrette and then topped with salami, ham and cheese.  This salad can be a delicious starter or a hearty main course depending only on serving size.

The From Our Dinner Table Group are sharing Scrumptios Salad recipes today.  Christie of A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures  invited us to join her in celebrating National Salad Month.

Let's see what everyone brought to the table today........

from our dinner table

Scrumptious Salads


We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!

Copycat Buddy's Antipasto Salad

The salad I decided to share is a copycat of one that we enjoy whenever we are down in the city and stop by one of our favorite pizzarias, Buddy's.  It is simple and delicious.  It is perfect as start of a buffet when having a large party but just as comfortable being served with soft bread sticks as a light dinner or lunch.  

Copycat Buddy's Antipasto Salad

I had a gourmet mixture of cherry tomatoes that I used for this salad and I left the skins on my cucumber that I cut into small dice.  It is the dressing that makes this salad so wonderful and then the meats and cheese turn it into a hearty, delicious plate.

Enjoy your Sunday.  Stay Home/Stay Safe/Stay Well.......



#salad, #antipasti, #maincoursesalads, #copycat,
Salad
Italian Fusion
Yield: 6 first course servings
Author:

Copycat Buddy

Copycat Buddy's Antipasto Salad

Fresh romaine, tomatoes and cucumbers tossed in a red wine vinaigrette and then topped with salami, ham and cheese. This salad can be a delicious starter or a hearty main course depending only on serving size.
Prep time: 15 MCook time: Total time: 15 M

Ingredients:

  • 1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
  • half large English cucumber, quartered and diced
  • 1/3 lb. thick cut hard salami, diced
  • 1/3 lb. thick cut mozzarella cheese, diced
  • 1/3 lb. black forest ham, diced
  • 3 T. red wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 t. dried Italian Herb seasoning, crushed
  • 1 t. Dijon Mustard
  • 5 T. extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

  1. Place the lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber into a large bowl.
  2. Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, mustard, salt and pepper.  Pour over the lettuce mixture and toss to coat.
  3. Place onto a serving platter.  Top with the diced salami, ham and cheese.  

Notes:

Inspired by Buddy's Pizza.
Calories
332.92
Fat (grams)
25.79
Sat. Fat (grams)
7.97
Carbs (grams)
9.22
Fiber (grams)
2.99
Net carbs
6.22
Sugar (grams)
3.28
Protein (grams)
17.24
Sodium (milligrams)
966.44
Cholesterol (grams)
52.14
Created using The Recipes Generator




16 comments:

  1. Oooh this sounds really good. I love salami in a salad especially. Can you believe I've heard of Buddy's? I've actually got two Detroit style red top pizzas on my blog and bought the pan they use to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am impressed. We love Buddy's and I hope next time you make their pizza you will try the salad with it.

      Delete
  2. I love, love this idea!! I bought some salami recently without a plan on what to do with it and this looks just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband LOVES an antipasto salad! I need to save this one it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of the goodies in this salad. It is great for a meal in summer or as a side salad anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! All these healthy and tasty ingredients. I even have a source for organic local salami!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This salad looks great! I love the different meats and cheeses- so hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To get a little closer, remove the cucumbers and use Wisconsin Brick Cheese and a boiled ham to get closer to what Buddy's does (...I have it regularly - just had some last night and my best friend in middle school was a manager and the original location at 6 Mile and Conant in Detroit).

    Not sure about that dressing recipe (I did not make it) - Buddy's dressing is liquid gold around here, the spice blend they use is very, very, very finely ground -- they do sell it at their locations and on their website - I suggest picking up a bottle, it's not quite the freshly made vinaigrette at the restaurant, but it's close enough! (Personally, I drain some of the oil off).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go to Buddy's as often as we can...this salad was close but not exact. We live an hour away from the closest Buddy's so this works when we need a fix.

      Delete
  8. I used to work at Buddy’s! They use brick cheese, not mozzarella! And cucumbers don’t belong on this salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Stephania. I will have to make it again sans cucumbers and with the brick cheese.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.