Saturday, December 7, 2013

Sharing Supper and Soup

Tonight for dinner we are having Beef and Noodles.  It is cold here and I think some comfort food is in order.  Beef and Noodles was one of my go to meals when my children were young and money was scarce because you can feed a crowd with an inexpensive cut of meat. It is easy and delicious.  I hope you enjoy it.

 
I start with a 3-4 lb Chuck Roast
 
 
I cut the beef from the bone and remove excess fat.
 
 
I will use the bones and trimmings for soup.
 
 
I liberally season the beef pieces with salt and pepper.
 
 
Brown them in hot oil (I use coconut) in a dutch oven.
 
 
The bones and scraps go into my stockpot.
 
 
I deglaze the dutch oven with water.
Return the meat and is juices to the pan and add carrots, onions and celery.
I also put in a bay leaf.
I cover the pot and simmer for several hours.
 
 
I throw all the scraps from the vegetables that I put into the Beef and Noodles into my stockpot.
I cover the meat and vegetables with water and add salt and pepper. 
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for several hours.
After several hours turn off heat and cool, then refrigerate until morning. 
In my case, I am putting it outside...it is cold here.
 
 
Back to Beef and Noodles.
After several hours the meat will be fork tender and fall apart as you pick at it with tongs or a fork.
 
 
Once the meat is all separated into bite size pieces.
Remove bay leaf.
 
 
Add a can of diced tomatoes.
1 more cup of water.
 2 beef bouillon cubes.
And a half package of egg noodles.
Cover and simmer for half an hour to 45 min.
 
 
The noodles will absorb the broth.
 
 
Enjoy with a piece of Crusty Bread and a Tossed Salad.
 
Tune in tomorrow and we will finish the soup we started.
 
 
Beef and Noodles
 
1 (3-4 lb) Beef Chuck Roast or 2 lbs. Stewing Beef
2 T. cooking oil (I use coconut)
1 med. onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, scraped and chopped
1 bay leaf
2 c. water
1 can diced tomatoes
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 1/2-3 cups uncooked egg noodles
.
If using Chuck Roast, trim meat from bones and remove excess fat.  Brown meat pieces in hot oil in a Dutch Oven until browned on both sides.  Remove to a plate and set aside.  Deglaze pan with 2 cups of water, scraping up any bits of meat stuck to the bottom of pan.  Return meat and any lost juices to pan and add vegetables and bay leaf.  Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and braise for 2-3 hrs. until meat is fork tender.  Use tongs to break meat into bite size pieces.  Add a can of diced tomatoes with the juice and another cup of water if needed.  Remove bay leaf.  Add bouillon cubes and noodles. Cover pot and continue to simmer until noodles have absorbed most of the broth, about 30-45 min.  Print Recipe
 
I am sharing this post at Thrifty Thursday
 

2 comments:

  1. That looks fabulous...I like to use my garage as a refrigerator as well. It was -2 here this morning....Baby, It's Cold Outside!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.