Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Garlic Herb Chicken in Puff Pastry #FoodieExtravaganza

Tender, juicy, chicken breasts slathered in garlic and herbs, topped with spinach and wrapped in golden brown, flaky, puff pastry.  These are easy enough for a weeknight dinner and gorgeous enough to serve at a fancy dinner party.


Join the gang at Foodie Extravaganza as we create with Puff Pastry today........


I had planned on posting cookies all week long for the Christmas Cookie event going on but found out yesterday that I had neglected to read the instructions completely.

Those of you who are regular readers know that I often combine events.  Yesterday I made cookies that could also be shared with in the Kitchen Matrix Cooking Project.  When I got on the computer in the morning, I had a message letting me know that the regulations for Christmas Cookie Week forbade combining events.  My bad.

It actually worked to my advantage.  When Caroline of Caroline's Cooking announced the theme for our Foodie Extravaganza was "Pastry" in honor of National Pastry Day on December 9th, I immediately thought to make a rugelach pastry and combine with Christmas Cookies.  When that was no longer a possibility, I was actually excited to make something savory instead.


I found this new puff pastry that is fresh instead of frozen and contains no preservatives.  I was anxious to try it.


I rolled it out, cut it into 4 pieces and spread Garlic Herb Cream Cheese over each piece.


I had browned some boneless, skinless chicken breasts earlier and put them in the refrigerator to chill.
I placed these on top of the cheese and put a handful of baby spinach on top of each.


Folded them into packets and placed them, seam side down, onto a silicone lined baking sheet.
I used an egg wash so they turned a nice golden brown.


They baked up perfectly in half an hour.


They were delicious. The teen and toddler were crazy about them.


Let's take a look at what the others created with their pastry today........


#garlic, #herbs, #creamcheese, #chicken, #puffedpastry, #spinach
Chicken, Entrees
French Fusion
Yield: 4 servingsPin it

Garlic Herb Chicken in Puff Pastry

prep time: 30 minscook time: 30 minstotal time: 60 mins
Tender, juicy, chicken breasts slathered in garlic and herbs, topped with spinach and wrapped in golden brown, flaky, puff pastry. These are easy enough for a weeknight dinner and gorgeous enough to serve at a fancy dinner party.

ingredients:

4 (4-6 oz) portions, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 T. ghee or clarified butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 sheet puff pastry
1/2 c. garlic herb cream cheese
1 c. baby spinach
1 egg

instructions:

Melt the ghee in a skillet over med high heat.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Sear in the skillet until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.  Remove to a plate and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to 24 hrs.

Roll out the sheet of pastry to approximately 14x14".  Divide into 4 equal squares.  Place 2 Tablespoons of cheese on each square and spread leaving a 1/4" border on the sides.  Place one chicken breast on top of the cheese in each square and add a handful of baby spinach.  

Wrap the pastry around the chicken, making a package and pinching the seams closed.  Place onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment or a silicone mat, seam side down.

Beat the egg with a fork and brush over each packet.

Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.  Let rest for a few minutes before serving.

NOTES:

adapted from a recipe by Pepperidge Farm.
Created using The Recipes Generator




11 comments:

  1. Looks like a tasty meal, I imagine the pastry keeps the chicken very moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, this is brilliant. It totally looks elegant but is so easy. I'm definitely trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad you posted that step by step process in photos. What an elegant looking meal. I’m going to try this one of these days coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a party pleaser, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woow i'll try it with rucola☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it Eva. I love arugula and think it will be delicious.

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious I will certainly have this recipe on my menu this week

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.