Friday, December 27, 2013

On the Third Day of Christmas

We had a very lazy day yesterday.  We were just exhausted and ended up in bed at 9 pm.  That was nice except that since Frank went to bed 2 hrs. earlier than usual that meant the puppy also went to bed 2 hrs earlier than usual.  You know what that means, yep...at 3 am she was up needing to go potty.  It seems 6 hrs is her limit.  She did go back to sleep for a couple of hours when she was done but at 5 am she was up and was having none of this sleeping human stuff!!!  I got up with her and took her out of the room so Frank could get some more shut eye and then he returned the favor this afternoon by caring for Mom so I could get a nap in.  Life is good!!

We ran to the store and picked up stuff for our brunch tomorrow morning and also some noodles.  I originally had stew on the menu for tonight but I had the leftover rack from the prime rib and a few slices of the meat left so I decided to use it for Beef and Noodles instead.

The store had some overripe bananas that they were practically giving away so I made some banana bread for our brunch for tomorrow.  Then, as I was walking through the store I saw a package of Nilla Wafers and decided to make Jen, Randy and the kids some Banana Pudding for dessert tonight. That's not as impressive as it sounds....I used instant pudding....but it is still good and my recipe is included below.
 
Banana Pudding
 
1 package vanilla wafers
1 lg. package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 1/2 c. milk
3 large bananas
1 c. heavy cream
 
Place vanilla wafers in bottom of serving dish making a single layer. Cut bananas into slices.  Layer half the sliced bananas over the cookies. Whisk together pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes.  Pour half of the unset pudding over the wafers and bananas.   Repeat the layers. Using a stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat the cream to semi stiff peaks.  Top pudding with cream. (you can sweeten the cream if you wish but I think the pudding is plenty sweet enough).  Refrigerate for at least one hour. Garnish with additional cookies right before serving. Print Recipe
 
 
 
Banana Bread
 
3 large very ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. melted butter or cooking oil
2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
 
Using stand mixer, with paddle attachment, beat together bananas, sugar, eggs and butter until fluffy.  Add remaining ingredients and beat on low until just moistened.  You want the mixture to be lumpy.
Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350* for 50-60 minutes.  Print Recipe

2 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.