Friday, February 7, 2020

A Gastronomic Visit to Savoie #WinePW

This classic dish from the Savoie area of France, located in the Alps was the perfect pairing for a bottle of Savoie Rosé for Wine Pairing Weekend this month.


This homey, comforting dish of bacon, onions and potatoes topped with melted cheese is an absolutely wonderful celebration of flavors.
Welcome to Wine Pairing Weekend where a group of us meet up once a month to share our wine and food pairings.

This month, Jill of L'Occasion invited us to visit the Savoie area of France.  You can learn more reading her invitation post.  We will all be getting together tomorrow morning to discuss the wines of the area, share which one we chose and the food that we paired with our wine.  We would love for you to join us.  We will be chatting live on Twitter at 11 AM ET, following #WinePW and #vindesavoie.  

Here is some information that we are sharing with each other prior to chat.....




Being located in the Alps, close to the Swiss Alps, the food of the area is a fusion of the two countries.  They are well known for their cheese production, specifically Raclette and Roblechon.  I was unable to find the Roblechon called for in this simple recipe so I used a double cream Brie cheese.


When my eldest children were young and money was scarce one of their favorite dinners was Bacon and Potatoes.  I would lay bacon bits in the bottom of a skillet, place potatoes over the top and cook it up until both were nice and crispy.  I had no idea that I was cooking a dish made popular in the Alpine region of France.  


Tartiflette is this simple, except that you add some onion and cream to the mixture and melt cheese over the top.  So incredibly comforting.


The wine I chose was Domaine Eugene Carrel & Fils Jongieux Rose de Savoie 2018 that I found on Wine.com for $17.99.  It is a blend of Gamay and Mondeuse.  I chose a Rose because it is so food friendly that I knew it would pair well with whatever dish I decided to make.

I was not disappointed at all.  The first sip of this Rose was surprising to us.  It is very dry and has some spice but most surprising is the touch of bitterness left on the palate.  This, to me, is a good thing.  I am fond of a bit of  bitter.

I enjoyed this wine very much both with dinner and after dinner while relaxing with a novel that I'm reading.  



#Frenchcheeses, #oneskilletmeals, #potatoes, #bacon,
Entrees
French
Yield: 2 servings
Author:

Tartiflette

Tartiflette

This homey, comforting dish of bacon, onions and potatoes topped with melted cheese is an absolutely wonderful celebration of flavors.
prep time: 5 Mcook time: 30 Mtotal time: 35 M

ingredients:

  • 4 slices bacon, diced
  • 2 medium, yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 T. diced onion
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 c. heavy cream
  • 3-4 oz. double cream brie cheese

instructions:

How to cook Tartiflette

  1. Cook the bacon. potatoes and onion, seasoned with salt and pepper, in an oven safe skillet over med high heat until bacon and potatoes are crisp and the onion is soft.  
  2. Stir in the cream.  Cut the brie in half crosswise and lay on top of the potato mixture, rind side up.  Place in a preheated 400* oven until cheese is melted, about 7-10 minutes.

NOTES:

Recipe adapted from A Taste of Savoie
Calories
601.60
Fat (grams)
41.83
Sat. Fat (grams)
24.16
Carbs (grams)
40.91
Fiber (grams)
4.05
Net carbs
36.86
Sugar (grams)
5.21
Protein (grams)
17.61
Sodium (milligrams)
664.11
Cholesterol (grams)
129.59
Created using The Recipes Generator










11 comments:

  1. OOO! These potatoes sound amazing. I cannot wait to try them with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Bacon and Potatoes' sounds like a dish my boys would love, too. I did make a tartiflette for a #Winophiles event back in 2018. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good. I think mine are a little crispier than they are supposed to be but we loved them.

      Delete
  3. I love the brie over this! What a great way to enjoy breakfast for dinner...and a glass of wine too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also tasted this rose. Seems like this wine and meal would blend together harmoniously. Did you find the acidity was mellowed by the dish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pairing a sparkling wine with a rich dish like the tartiflette. I have not made a tartiflette, but like you, a close rendition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's not to like about potatoes, bacon, and cheese! The brie sounds like it would be fantastic. YUM

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.