Saturday, December 21, 2013

Winter Solstice

I'm not so sure about today's Holidailies 2013 Badge prompt.  It asks if we do anything special to celebrate Winter Solstice.

Heck, I wouldn't have even known it was winter solstice if they hadn't told me.  Do people really do something special to celebrate the shortest day of the year??

I thought this was a good question so, of course, I googled it.  It does seem that certain cultures and pagan religions celebrate the winter solstice. 

I found the following articles interesting.  I hope you do too.

In ancient tradition, Iranians celebrate winter solstice

On Shab-e Yalda, summer fruits and poetry help mark the triumph of Mithra, the Sun God, over darkness.
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-adv-persian-winter-solstice-20131221,0,5632744.story#ixzz2o708GtNU



Ian Temple arch druid of the Dorset grove dressed as the green man during the Winter Solstice service at Stonehenge.
Ian Temple arch druid of the Dorset grove dressed as the green man during the Winter Solstice service at Stonehenge. Credit: Neil Munns/PA Wire

In many cultures and religions, the winter solstice is used to mark the beginning of a year or seen as a cause for celebration. The winter solstice signifies rebirth, a theme which can be found in many winter holidays.
www.Cecildaily.com
 
The Newgrange Winter Solstic yesterday morning.
Picture By David Conachy.  21/12/2013
 
The Newgrange Winter Solstic yesterday morning. Picture By David Conachy. 21/12/2013
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.