Friday, February 21, 2020

Charleston Shrimp Pie #FishFridayFoodies

Life doesn't get much easier or much more delicious than this easy peasy Charleston Shrimp Pie.


It's time for Fish Friday Foodies..........


My friend Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories is hosting this month and asked us to share Fish/Seafood pies.  

Fish Friday Foodies is a great group of bloggers who join me each month in sharing Fish/Seafood recipes based on a theme chosen by one of the members.  We have a lot of fun and get a lot of great recipes that help us to incorporate more fish and seafood into our menus.  If you are a blogger and would like to join in the fun you can email me at wendyklik1517@gmail.com and I will send you an invitation.

Let's take a look at all the pies being baked up this month......

I was originally going to make a quiche for today's recipe because they are so versatile and even though I have already shared Smoked Salmon and Herb Quiche,  and Seafood Mini Quiches the possibilities are endless.  

Pot pies are always wonderful filled with seafood as well.  This Lobster Pot Pie is a wonderful to serve guest during a Fish Friday dinner party. They will be very impressed.


Then I came across this recipe from the Today show called Gail Simmon's Lazy Shrimp Pie, which is a take on Charleston Shrimp Pie but with no tomatoes and using panko bread crumbs instead of crackers.  I had everything I needed for this recipe without having to go to the grocers.


This worked out perfectly for a busy day meal.  We are leaving for vacation tomorrow.  The Teen is staying with our dear friends, John and Kirsten.  She has a dance to attend tomorrow evening so I picked her up from school and we went for Mani/Pedis and then went to pick up some things she needed for the dance.  On the way home she asked if we could stop and pick up a friend to join us for dinner. 



We got home and we were all starving.  I put on a pot of water to boil to make spaghetti aglio e olio and then threw together the Charleston Pie using frozen pre cooked and peeled large shrimp that I had thawed.  Dinner was ready in the time it took for the pasta to boil.  It was so very good and satifying.

I adapted the recipe by halving it as I was only feeding 4.  I also started with precooked shrimp instead of cooking it myself and I deleted the chives as I didn't have any.  I know a whole stick of butter sounds like a lot but I think you will be pleased with the results.



#shrimp, #pie,
Entrees, Seafood, Shrimp,
Southern
Yield: 4 servings
Author:

Charleston Shrimp Pie

Charleston Shrimp Pie

Life doesn't get much easier or much more delicious than this easy peasy Charleston Shrimp Pie.
prep time: 5 Mcook time: 15 Mtotal time: 20 M

ingredients:

  • 1 lb. large frozen, cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp, thawed
  • 1 c. panko bread crumbs
  • 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 T. chopped parsley
  • dash of cayenne
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 t. lemon zest
  • 1 t. lemon juice

instructions:

How to cook Charleston Shrimp Pie

  1. Place the fish in the bottom of a pie plate.  
  2. In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley and cayenne.  Add the butter, lemon zest and lemon juice.  Toss to coat and spread over the shrimp.
  3. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 10 minutes until bubbling.  Place under the broiler for a few minutes to brown.  

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe by Gail Simmons
Calories
492.36
Fat (grams)
29.42
Sat. Fat (grams)
17.16
Carbs (grams)
22.98
Fiber (grams)
1.32
Net carbs
21.66
Sugar (grams)
1.75
Protein (grams)
32.92
Sodium (milligrams)
1657.00
Cholesterol (grams)
309.68
Created using The Recipes Generator




23 comments:

  1. That pie looks amazing. And gee, I usually have all those ingredients on hand as well. And I attend enough gatherings that this would be a perfect dish to bring to and share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of this one! Pasta looks like a great choice to go with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great: Simple, and full of seafood. As with a previous correspondent, I can see this as an excellent dish to bring and share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm! Buttery crumb topped tender shrimp - that sounds like a happy dish for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I can't wait to try it. I love that it was a fast weeknight dinner, too. I need more ideas for those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man! That looks amazing and delicious! How creative too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pie looks so wonderfully crumbly and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried this recipe, it exceeded my high expectations, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would raw shrimp have the same outcome? More moisture may end up soggy? Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just throw the raw shrimp in with the pasta for the last few minutes of boiling, drain them together, they should be fine.

      Delete
  10. How many would you say this serves?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What about the pasta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I served this with a side of Spaghetti aglio e olio. There is a link to that in the body of my article, just click on the name and it will take you there.

      Delete
  12. Good recipe but needs garlic 👍

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.