Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Mom Klik's Mushroom Soup

Today's Holidailies prompt is to share our favorite holiday recipe and tell about where/when we first had it.

This is an easy post for me.  When I first married into Frank's family I was introduced to Wigilia.  A Polish custom where you have a meatless Christmas Eve. 

 
This was a new tradition for me and my children and we embraced it. We had our own traditions in our family....what kind of cookies to make, a birthday cake and singing "Happy Birthday Jesus" on Christmas Day, going to get our tree, etc.  But those were our "family" traditions not traditions that had been passed on through our culture.  In fact, my children and I are just truly "American". We are such a blend of different nationalities that we really were not raised with any culture.
 
The meatless dinner on Christmas Eve always begins with Mom Klik's Mushroom Soup.  It is a delicious recipe and one that I am happy to share with you.  Mom serves the soup by putting egg noodles into the bottom of a soup bowl and ladling the soup over them as opposed to putting the noodles into the soup itself.  She says this keeps the noodles from getting mushy.
 
 
Mom Klik's Mushroom Soup
 
 
2 lbs. Mushrooms, sliced
1 lg. Spanish Onion, chopped
2-3 Stalks Celery, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
2 T. Butter
4 c. Chicken Broth
1 pint Half and Half
2 T. Flour
 
 
Saute onion, celery and carrots in 2 T. butter until onion is transparent.  Add mushrooms and simmer until mushrooms shrink (about 30 minutes).  Add 4 c. of broth and simmer for additional 1.5 hrs.  Mix flour with half and half.  Add to the mushroom mixture and simmer until it starts to perk.  Remove from heat and serve over egg noodles cooked to package directions.  Print Recipe

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that tradition. I had never heard of it. I don't think I would get my family to eat this soup although I love mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story all about your family traditions, many thanks for sharing...
    I love the recipe for the mushroom soup, great idea to add the noodles first, will try this is new to me & I do enjoy creamy mushroom soup...
    Warming, comforting food is just what I need, it's freezing fog here in the U.K. so this will go down a treat!
    Many thanks,
    Odelle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Odelle. It is always a special treat here at our house.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.