Last week I was fretting because my dough for my Sourdough Bagels wouldn't rise because it was too cold in the house.
On Wednesday it was 87* and sunshine for most of the day and then at 4 pm the storms came knocking out a transformer on our street. Thank goodness we have an all house generator. That makes it possible for me to still write up this post and share a taste of a Michigan Indian Summer with you.
I spent the morning running errands. Taking The Teen and Little Miss to their schools, dropping off a chain saw to my brother in law and getting the car washed.
When I got home Frank was preparing for a CPL class he is conducting today. I worked on some recipes for the blog, cleaned the kitchen and did some laundry. When we were done, we decided to enjoy the beautiful day.
We lounged around the pool, chit chatting and relaxing until it was time for Frank to leave to get Marissa. I got out of the pool and grabbed my current Lit Happens selection, Stone Mother's, by Erin Kelly. Then I decided I needed a snack.
When we were at the store getting dog and chicken food, the boy scouts were set up in the parking lot selling pop corn for a fundraising effort. I grabbed that precious (read $25) bag of popcorn and the bottle of Alma Sparkling Wine from Spain that was provided by sponsor, Susannah of Vigneto Communications for this month's Wine Pairing Weekend.
Susannah who blogs at Avvinare asked all of us to join her in celebrating Brazilian Independence Day that occurs on September 7th. You can learn more about Brazil and the wines available in her Invitation Post.
I wasn't able to find a lot out about this wine. I did learn from reading the label that it is from the Serra Gaucha region of Brazil. The grapes were labeled as 60% Moscato and% Trebbiano. A google search shows the price point is an extremely reasonable $5 at Total Wines.
I was surprised how bright, crisp and dry this wine is. It was a fun guilty pleasure, sipping wine, eating caramel corn and lounging poolside with my book in the middle of September. I find that sparkling wine goes with just about anything and this bottle was no exception. I was tickled by the fact that my wine was only $5 and my popcorn $25. It was a topsy turvy, backwards kind of day, from sunshine to thunderstorms, cold weather to warmth and inexpensive wine with very expensive snacks.
I had fun tasting and I'm looking forward to our chat today on Twitter at 11 AM following #WinePW. I'll be talking more about the weird day I had. Here is what the others will be talking about......
- Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares "A Brazilian Sparkler +Frango à Passarinho and Pao de Queijo"
- Linda of My Full Wine Glass will be posting "Head to Southern Brazil for High-Quality Wine"
- Cindy of Grape Experiences writes "Wine and Dine Brazilian Style with Alma Brut White Sparkling Wine from Salton Winery and Fried Calamari"
- Gwen at Wine Predator shares "A Poet Pairs Poetica Sparkling Rosé from Brazil"
- David of Cooking Chat will be pairing "Brazilian Beans, Greens and Bacon with Sparkling Wine"
- Pinny of Chinese Food and Wine Pairings will be serving "Miolo Alisios Pinot Grigio/Riesling and Raw Ahi Tuna 3 Ways"
- Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm will be adding "Enjoying Indian Summer with Alma Sparkling Brut from Brazil"
- Cynthia and Pierre of Traveling Wine Profs will be sharing "Friends, Seafood, Bubbly and Chardonnay:Our Brazilian Wine Pairing Dinner"
- Debbie of The Hudson Valley Wine Goddess writes "Celebrating Garden Harvest with Brazilian Wine"
- Sarah of The Curious Cuisiniere showcases "Pastel de Queijo and Brazilian Sparkling Wine Pairing"
- Jill of L'Occasion posts “Bubbles from Brazil: a Treat for Wine Lovers”
- Jennifer of Vino Travels muses about "Brazilian Sparkling Wines with Salton Brut"
- Suzanne at Avvinare , will post about "Miolo Merlot Paired with Brazilian Skirt Steak with Golden Garlic Butter."
Hope to see you all at chat. This is what's being cooked up around here this week. What's on your menu?
Sunday-Dinner at Kim and Kurts
Poached Seafood Salad-(moved from last Friday)
Cacio e Pepe Zucchini
Chicken Noodle Casserole
Beef Pot Roast with Apples and Onions
Smoked Country Ribs