Sunday, December 15, 2013

Taco Bar Recipes

When I am having my Santa party I try to serve kid friendly food that adults enjoy also.  I want food that I can prepare ahead of time and that doesn't take a lot of fuss when it is time to eat so that I can spend my day enjoying the kids.

This year, I decided on a Taco Bar.  I will prepare everything in the morning.  The meats, rice and beans can be put into crockpots and will stay warm until it is time to eat.  Everything else can be prepared and put into serving bowls in the refrigerator so they just need to be pulled out and put on the buffet table. I will be tripling the recipes for my crowd but as written they will easily feed a family.  Easy Peasy.

Chicken Tacos

1.5 lbs. Chicken Breasts
1 c. chicken broth
1 lime
1 t. Oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 t. sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hrs.  Shred chicken or cut into strips, reduce heat to low until ready to serve.  Place chicken in soft taco shell and top with desired toppings. *note-If you double the recipe, do not double the amount of broth you need just enough broth to keep the breasts moist.  Print Recipe

Beef Tacos

1.5 lbs. Ground Beef
1 small onion, diced
1 package taco seasoning
1/2 c. salsa
2/3 c. water

Brown ground beef with onion in large skillet.  Drain any fat.  Add water and seasoning mix, cook for a few moments and then add salsa and cook 3-4 minutes longer. (I will be placing mine in a crock pot to stay warm until it is time to serve.)  Print Recipe


Spanish Rice

1 T. butter
1 med. onion, diced
1.5 c. long grain white rice
2 c. chicken broth
1 c. salsa

Saute onion and uncooked rice in butter until rice is translucent.  Add chicken broth and salsa.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.  (I will be placing mine into crockpot for 4 hrs.)  Print Recipe


I am making the rest of the buffet even easier on myself.  I bought canned refried beans that I will put into a crockpot to warm.  I bought shredded cheese, diced some tomatoes, shredded some lettuce which I will put out with sour cream, salsa and store bought guacamole.  I will have hard taco shells, soft taco shells and corn chips for those that want to make nachos instead of tacos. 

I didn't get any pictures of the individual dishes but I did take a pic of my great nephew Gavin's plate before he dug in.



3 comments:

  1. I remember my mom's Spanish rice...thank goodness your doesn't sound anything like hers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty tasty. For some reason I don't feel like tacos by themselves make a complete meal so I like to be able to add the rice. It makes me feel better LOL.

      Delete
    2. I am the same way. Beans and rice always accompany my taco bar!

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.