Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Recipes

Roast Turkey
My Turkey was so large this year that I had to have Frank cut it in half.
Therefore, this recipe is not going to be my traditional stuffed turkey.
As always I work with what I have in the freezer and pantry as much as possible.
Today it is half a turkey.
Stuffing
I always start with Pepperidge Farms Herb Seasoned Stuffing and doctor it up.
I placed the Stuffing into a makeshift casserole made from aluminum foil.
Draped the Turkey right over the stuffing.
Massaged the Turkey with Olive Oil and salt and pepper.
Covered the whole thing with foil and put it in the oven at 350*.
After 3.5 hours I will check for an internal temperature of 160*.

Roast Fresh Kielbasa
I use a local butcher, Richmond Meat Packers, to process my hogs and cows.
They do a wonderful job making sausage and smoking the hams.


Chunk half a large onion and place in Roaster.
Add Kielbasa Links and a little water to cover bottom of Pan.
Roast at 350* for 1 hour and 15 min.
Sauerkraut
I will be using this recipe without adding the Kielbasa.
Cranberry Sauce
I can't remember where I got this recipe but it is easy peasy and good.

Candied Sweet Potatoes
My own recipe except that today I had to measure stuff before I threw it in.

Parmesan Smashed Potatoes


This recipe by Ina Garten is delicious and the best I have found for making potatoes ahead of time.
It seems like with that much liquid your potatoes will be runny but they will be perfect.
 To reheat them for dinner the next day bake at 400* for 20-30 minutes.
The topping should be brown and the potatoes heated through.
Garlic Green Beans
Another easy peasy recipe that only takes a minute before dinner.
Candied Sweet Potatoes 
4 lg. Sweet Potatoes
3/4 c. Half and Half
1/4 c. Butter
1/4 c. Brown Sugar
Miniature Marshmallows
Peel Potatoes and cut into quarters.  Boil in salted water until potatoes are tender.  Drain and Place in large bowl of stand mixer.  Add remaining ingredients except Marshmallows.  Mix on low speed until well combined.  Transfer to casserole.  Top with Marshmallows.  Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until Marshmallows are melted and brown and potatoes are heated through.  Print Recipe

Cranberry Sauce

1 bag fresh cranberries
1 cup orange juice
1/2 c. sugar

Place all ingredients into a large saucepan and bring to boil.  Turn heat to medium high and gently boil until cranberries pop and split.  Pour into bowl and chill for at least 3 hrs before serving.
Print Recipe

Stuffing

1 pkg. Herb Seasoned Stuffing Mix
1/2 stick Butter
1 stalk celery
1/2 large onion
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup raisins
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped.
2 c. Chicken Broth

Melt butter in large sauté pan, and vegetables and fruit.  Saute for 5 or 6 minutes. Add Chicken Broth and turn off heat.  Place Stuffing Mix into bowl (if stuffing turkey) or into a buttered casserole if not stuffing turkey.  Pour chicken broth mixture over stuffing and mix together. Print Recipe

Garlic Green Beans

1 lb Fresh Green Beans, cleaned and trimmed
1/2 cup water
2 T. Butter
1 clove garlic, minced

Place green beans and water into a large fry pan.  Bring to a boil and cook until water is evaporated and beans are crisp tender.  Add Butter and Garlic and stir fry browning the beans slightly.
Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.