Saturday, November 16, 2013

Loving me some Lasagna

I am making our Lasagna for tomorrow's dinner today.  We are singing for 9:30 Mass tomorrow morning and then need to travel about an hour both ways to attend a funeral service for Frank's brother in law's cousin so I won't have time to assemble it tomorrow.  This is not a problem though.  I often assemble my lasagna a day or two before serving.  I think it is even better once all the flavors have had a chance to meld together.

I got this recipe from my children's paternal grandmother.  She was a lovely woman who was taken from us much too early.  After 33 years, I still miss her almost daily.


Brown 1.5 lbs of ground beef with garlic in a large saucepan.
In this case I used a half pound of ground beef and 1 lb. of ground venison.
Once browned, drain into a colander and rinse with hot water.
Return to pan.


Add Marinara sauce, tomato paste and dry onion soup mix.
Combine and simmer for 1/2 an hour.


Mix together Ricotta and eggs


Thinly slice the Mozzarella.


Place a small amount of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.
This keeps the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pan.


Place 3 cooked noodles on the sauce.
Top with 1/3 of the remaining sauce and 1/3 of the Ricotta mixture.


Add 1/3 of the Mozzarella and sprinkle with 1/3 of the Parmesan.


Repeat this 3 times and it is ready for the oven or as in my case the refrigerator.


When read to bake, place in a preheated oven for 1 hr or until browned and bubbly.


Lasagna

1.5 lbs. ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 qt. Marinara Sauce, I use this recipe
1 6oz. can tomato paste
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1 15oz carton Ricotta Cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 lb. Fresh Mozzarella or 2 c. shredded Mozzarella
1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
9 Lasagna Noodles, cooked per package directions

Place the ground beef and garlic in a large saucepan, season with salt and pepper, and cook over med  high heat until brown.  Pour browned meat into colander and rinse with hot water.  Return meat to pot.  Add Marinara, tomato paste and onion soup mix.  Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 hr.
Beat 2 eggs in med. bowl, add ricotta and mix well.
Slice fresh Mozzarella if using.
Assemble Lasagna by placing a small amount of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.
Layer 3 noodles on the sauce.  Top with 1/3 each of the sauce, Ricotta mixture, Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.  Repeat this 3 times.
Bake at 350* for 1 hr.  If refrigerated, bring to room temp before baking.
Print Recipe



And as a bonus, I even had room in my newly cleaned refrigerator for my pan of lasagna to rest until tomorrow.


5 comments:

  1. This sounds so good. I will be putting you on my Pinterest board. We love lasagna. Well all of used to love it. Richard has decided that he doesn't like anything with tomato sauce anymore ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The acid might upset his stomach. I noticed with my folks that their taste changed too. Things they used to love no longer appealed to them.

      Delete
    2. That is what is going on here as well...

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious, Wendy - I love lasagna!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.