Monday, November 11, 2013

Those Who Serve

Today is Veteran's Day, a day set aside to honor all who have served and are currently serving to assure that we all can sleep soundly each night knowing that we live in a safe, secure and free country. I could not be more Thankful.  It takes a special kind of person to dedicate their lives to caring for others.  Many of our veterans continue on after their military service in other occupations that care for others, police officers, firefighters, medics, nurses, doctors, teachers, counselors.  Many remain in the service and it becomes their career and way of life.  And then some, unfortunately, return to us damaged.  This damage can be physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual. We owe these Veteran's the care and support they need to get themselves whole again and to provide for them and their families until such a time as they are healed.  That is not just our governments responsibility, it is also ours.  Our payment to them for the sacrifice they made for us.  It is a small thing.  It is something we all need to do. 
I am proud that I come from a family of people who have chosen to serve their country.  My Pops, Frank, Frank's brother, Dan, my brothers, Larry and Gary, Frank's father, many cousins and uncles and most recently our son, Chuck, who is currently serving in the US Navy.


My Pops, Louis F. Dubrul, US Army.  WWII Vet.


Frank's Dad, Anthony J. Klik, US Navy. WWII Vet.


Frank A. Klik, US Navy.  Viet Nam Vet.


Chuck at his graduation from the Great Lakes Navel Academy.
Charles L. Moore, US Navy.
Above he is with me and Frank.
Below his Dad and I are with him.


God Bless our Veterans, today and every day.

I am linking up with Thrive at Home Thursdays.  Check it out.

16 comments:

  1. Very nice. I enjoyed the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the story and photo's was Louis related to someone that owned the lumber yard on Sherwood? Was the PLAV 165 on 10 Mile named for Anthony Klik?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father was somehow related to the owner of the lumberyard. A distant cousin, I think. And yes, PLAV #165 was named for my Father in Law. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
    2. Thank You Wendy, Was he a leader of the Post? Is that why they named it after him? Can you tell me when was it established? Thanks again Kurt

      Delete
    3. Hi Kurt, My husband is not sure of dates. We will check with Mom Klik and get back to you. Mom worked there for many years after Dad passed away. They were both very involved with the PLAV.

      Delete
    4. Thank You Wendy, I look forward to it Best Regards Kurt

      Delete
    5. Hi Kurt, This is what I found out for you. The meetings were first held at Club Lasalle on Ryan in Warren and then when the membership got large enough they bought their own building at 10/Hoover. Tony was very dedicated to the post and served as president for many years. He put in the plumbing, sewers and electrical in the 10/Hoover post. Tony died in 1971, the same year that the post was moved to it's current location. The name was changed from Warren Post to the Anthony J. Klik post during the 80's as a tribute to his hard work and dedication by a vote of the membership. Those members have all since passed and now the name Anthony J. Klik is just a name, no longer a memory and they voted just recently to return to the Warren Post.

      Delete
    6. Great history Wendy! Thank You, What year were they established? and which building at Hoover and 10 Mile?

      Delete
    7. I think Mom said they were first established in 1964. I was wrong it was 9/Hoover the first building south of the Sunoco station. They rented that until they bought the one on 10 Mile.

      Delete
  3. Great Thanks again Wendy! So it was south of St. Pierre's Sunnoco gas station in what was Denson's old store (or Barber Shop? which side?) at 22939 Hoover now Hungry Howies. Who did they rent the building from? Thanks again best regards Kurt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure but I am seeing my mil tomorrow and will pick her brain again.

      Delete
  4. Sounds great.. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you belong to the post Kurt? Or do you just live in the area there?

      Delete
    2. Hello Wendy, Lived in the area, I am trying to help record the history of the Village of Van Dyke and Baseline (local Warren Area). We have group, specifically for discussing the local history on Facebook. Who were the founders? Best Regards Kurt

      Delete
    3. Hi Kurt, it was the Hungry Howies building and we don't know who they rented it from. I know Dad was one of the founders but I forgot to ask Ma who else founded it.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Wendy, Well if you find out or find any old photo's of the place or find out which side of the building please let us know.. We are on the Village of VanDyke on Facebook You are welcome to join us.at https://www.facebook.com/groups/190504431040/ Best Regards Kurt

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.