Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thursday Tutorial

Today I am going to make my mother in laws famous Sauerkraut with a couple of small changes that I have added over the years.

 
First I sauté up mushrooms and onions in butter.
 
 
Then I start shredding my fresh cabbage. 
I am using the cores left from the heads with which I made Stuffed Cabbage.
 
 
 Add to the mushrooms and onions,continue sautéing until the cabbage is limp. 
I add the brown sugar and apple.
 
I open a package of sauerkraut and rinse lightly.
You don't want to take all the sourness out, just tone it down a bit.
 
 
I mix the cabbage mixture and the rinsed sauerkraut in a slow cooker.
Add a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup and 1/2 can of water.
 
 
For tonight's dinner, I am adding sausage.
  So I cut smoked sausage into about 2" pieces.
 
 
I place these on top, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hrs. 
 
Kielbasa and Sauerkraut 
 
1 package refrigerated sauerkraut, lightly rinsed
1 small head of cabbage, shredded
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 small onion sliced
2 T butter
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 c. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of mushroom soup (your favorite variety)
1 link smoked sausage (your favorite variety, can also use turkey sausage if desired)
 
Saute the mushrooms and onions in butter in a large sauté pan, season with salt and pepper.
Add the shredded cabbage and continue to sauté until limp.
Add the apple and brown sugar. 
Place the rinsed sauerkraut into a crockpot.  Add the sautéed mixture, cream of mushroom soup and half a can of water. Combine well.
Cut the sausage into approx. 2" pieces and place on top of Sauerkraut mixture.
Cook on low for 8-10 hrs.  Print Recipe

Now that this is in the crockpot and ready to go I am leaving to pick up my friend, Linda, to attend a meeting at 9:30 about our backpack program.  This is a new program that Linda has started in our parish this year where we provide backpacks containing weekend meals for kids in need.  It will be run out of our church food pantry of which I am in charge.  After the meeting, I plan on getting a walk in and then come home and do my 15 minutes of organizing before Dick and Jackie come for dinner and to watch Mom while we go to choir practice.  If things go smoothly perhaps I will get to work on a Christmas project for a bit.

While I am gone, Nancy will be taking Mom to get her hair washed and styled.  See my 31 Day Challenge Blog for more news about Mom.

 
Dinner is served. 

I can't believe how much I have gotten accomplished in that storage room in only 3 days!!  It is mind boggling.  I think I will be done with this project way before the month is up and ready to tackle a second organization goal.

2 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.