Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Sweet Potato Fries

You have probably figured out by now that my Weekly Menu is not written in stone but is more of a guide to help me know what to pull from the freezer and what to replace in the pantry.  So yesterday, instead of making a Pork Roast for dinner and using the leftovers for tonight's BBQ Pork Sandwiches.  We had Spaghetti and I smoked the Roast to use in tonight's dinner.

I placed a bone in shoulder roast into the crockpot, salted it liberally and added about 1/4 c. of liquid smoke. I let it cook for 8 hrs and then I let it cool.


Once it was cooked and cooled, I removed it from the crockpot and placed all the meat in this bowl, discarding any bones and fat.  Frank then took 2 forks and began shredding the meat which basically just falls apart.


Once it was all shredded I covered it and put it in the fridge to use for tonight's dinner.
It is not at all necessary to refrigerate over night and at this point you could just continue on with the recipe.

Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwiches

1 bone in pork roast
salt
liquid smoke
Barbecue Sauce (we use this recipe)

Place roast in crockpot and season liberally with salt.  Pour 1/4 cup of liquid smoke over roast.  Cook on low heat for 8-10 hrs.  Remove roast from crockpot and place meat into a bowl, discarding any bones and fat. Using 2 forks, shred the meat.  Place the meat into a clean crockpot and add desired amount of bbq sauce. Reheat until time to serve. (My meat had been refrigerated so I put it on low heat for 3-4 hrs. prior to serving.)  Serve on Hamburger Buns, passing additional bbq sauce at the table. (if using our homemade recipe, heat the extra sauce before serving).

*Note:  you can also make this dish using leftover pork roast that has been cut into thin slices but you will not have the smoky flavor.  Print Recipe

I made Sweet Potato Fries to go along with the Sandwiches and I was going to make cole slaw but then my Door to Door Organics box arrived yesterday with a beautiful head of Broccoli, so I made Broccoli Salad instead.  You can find that recipe here and I am sharing my recipe, that I got from my daughter Amy,  for Sweet Potato Fries below.


Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into uniform pieces.
This is only 2 large potatoes.


Toss the Potatoes with Olive Oil and Seasonings.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

1 Sweet Potato per every 2 persons
Olive Oil, about 1 T. for every 2 potatoes
cinnamon to taste
chili powder to taste
sugar to taste

Peel and cut the potatoes into uniform pieces. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Toss with Olive Oil, spices and sugar.  Bake in a hot oven that has been preheated to 425* for 30-45 minutes or until tender inside and crispy outside.  Flip the potatoes half way through cooking time.  Print Recipe


Dinner is Served.




4 comments:

  1. I'm starving! Been one of those days where I could only leave mom for the minutes it takes to shuttle kids. No minutes for food...so a picture of two of my favorite things is making my tummy growl! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to kick off your shoes, grab a bite to eat and a glass of wine. Take good care of yourself Lisa.

      Delete
  2. I was exhausted so we ordered take out chicken and had it delivered....yummy. But probably not as good as your pulled pork Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gotta have those nights when you just order in, put your feet up and enjoy...Here in Michigan we have a place called Chicken Shack....Great chicken but even better ribs and broasted potatoes drenched in butter....my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.