Saturday, October 5, 2013

Beets, Broccoli and Brussels Sprouts

We are getting tons of stuff from our CSA right now and it has been piling up in my fridge so today I thought I would share how I am going to use some of it.

 
I decided to use up one of my heads of Broccoli by adding a Broccoli Salad to my menu for tonight.
 

Below you will find my recipe.
It changes every time I make this depending on what I have in my refrigerator and cupboard.
 
Broccoli Salad
 
1 head broccoli or cauliflower or a mixture of both
1 small red onion or 4 green onions or a small sweet onion (I didn't use any today)
1 c. raisins or dried cranberries or dried cherries (I used cherries today)
1 c. sunflower seeds or sliced almonds (today I used sunflower seeds)
7 slices bacon, cooked and diced (I didn't add this today)
 
Dressing
 
1 c. mayonnaise or salad dressing (Miracle Whip) or 1/2 c. of either with 1/2 of sour cream
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. vinegar
 
Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl.  Whisk together dressing ingredients.  Pour over salad and combine well.  Chill before serving.
 
 
I also got a stalk of Brussels Sprouts.
 
 
I remove the heads by snapping or cutting them off the stalk.
 
 
I soak them in salted water to remove any dirt and/or bugs that are hiding in between the leaves.
 
 
And they are ready to be used.  I am adding them to my meal tonight. 
I will toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them.
 
 
And there are a lot of beets. So I am pickling them.
 
 
 
I remove the greens leaving a little on and leave the root end on.
Scrub them very well.
 
 
Place them in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
  Turn heat down to Med and cook until easily pierced with a fork.
 
 
Rinse them under cold water until cool enough to handle.
 
 
Once you cut off the tops and bottoms the skins will wash right off with water.
It looks like I got a turnip in there also (on the right) but that's ok.  It will pickle up with the beets.
 
 
Slice the beets.
 
 
Place the onion, spices, vinegar and water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5 min.
 
 
Add the beets and heat thoroughly.
Ladle into pints leaving a 1/2" headspace.
Process for 30 minutes using the water bath method.
 
 
 
Pickled Spiced Beets
 
6 lbs. of Beets, cooked, peeled and sliced.
1 large onion, sliced
2 c. sugar
1/2 T. salt
1/2 T. whole cloves
1/2 T. whole allspice
3 cinnamon sticks
3 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 c. water
 
Place onion, sugar, salt, spices, vinegar and water into a large saucepot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 min.  Add sliced beets and heat through.  Ladle beets into pint jars, covering with the hot liquid leaving a 1/2" headspace.  Process for 30 min. using the water bath method. 
Makes approx. 7 pints.  Print Recipe
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. These look SO good, Wendy. The next time I get beets, I'll try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.