Thursday, May 29, 2014

Sheesh it's only Shish Kabob

Today we are having Beef Kabobs for dinner.  I was at the market the other day and they had lovely kabobs in the butcher case but at a not so lovely price.  It was like really?? For a little bit of meat and a few veggies? Come on!!!

But they did look delicious so I put them on the menu for this week but, in the interest of saving money and knowing how my meat was raised, I made my own.


I pulled 2 sirloin steaks from the freezer last and cut them into chunks this morning.


Grabbed stuff from my fridge and pantry to make a marinade.


I put it all into a zip closed bag and put it in the refrigerator to marinate during the day.


When it was time for dinner I skewered the beef along with the vegetables to make the kebobs.


Grill over med high heat for 7-10 minutes on each side until veggies are tender and beef is to your desired temperature.


Beef Kabobs
Sirloin Steak (about 1/4 lb per person), cut into 1 1/2-2" chunks
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/4 cup oil
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 c. worcestershire sauce
1 T. sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lg. onion, chunked
lg. pkg whole mushrooms
1 large zucchini, halved and chunked
3 small yellow squash, chunked
salt and pepper to taste

Place steak into a seal-able plastic bag, mix soy sauce, oil, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, sugar and garlic and pour over steak.  Refrigerate for at least 5 hrs..

Thread marinated steak alternating with vegetables on  a skewer.  Season with salt and pepper.  Grill over medium high heat for 7-10 minutes per side until vegetables are tender and the steak is done to your liking.  Print Recipe

These are much less expensive than store bought Kebabs and I am happy to share them on Thrifty Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. Such a good move, they are way overpriced. And you kabobs way better.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.