Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Try it Tuesday Menu Chosen with Ting in Mind

Today for Try it Tuesday I once again turned to my old stand by Cuisine at Home.  I just got the latest issue in the mail and as always couldn't wait to go through it.  It is also the beginning of May so all the March/April Issues got put back on the shelf and all the May/June issues are on my coffee table to be perused for recipes for the next 2 months.


When I made out our Weekly Menu I had listed that along with this recipe I was also making another from this same issue for Shrimp Spring Rolls but my local grocer did not have spring roll wrappers so I bought egg roll wrappers instead and adapted this recipe that I found at allrecipes.com.

As you may have noticed, if you have been following my recipes for a while, I try to make Asian at least once a week for Tingting.  She still misses her grandma's cooking so, while I can't compete with fond memories, I try to give her a taste of home once in a while.

This recipe for Ramen Noodles and Meatballs is like an Asian version of Spaghetti and Meatballs. Ting loves Spaghetti and Meatballs so I thought this would be a good choice for Try it Tuesday.



This recipe is definitely a keeper!!  Ting cut open a meatball, put it in her mouth and said "Oh my gosh, these meatballs are delicious, did you make them?"  I told her I had and she said "They taste just like my Grandma's" .  My day was complete....I had succeeded!!  I mentioned that the next time I made this I would just use regular noodles rather than the Ramen noodles but Ting said she liked the texture of the Ramen noodles in this dish.

Ramen Noodles and Meatballs
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue # 105

Meatballs

1 egg
1/2 c.  Panko Breadcrumbs
2 scallions, trimmed and minced
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. dry sherry
1 t. sugar
1 lb. ground pork

Combine all ingredients.  Shape into meatballs, using approx. 2 T. of meat for each.  Place on baking sheet and chill.

Sauce

Remaining scallions from bunch that the 2 were removed, whites minced ; greens reserved for garnish
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (15 oz) diced tomatoes
2 c. beef broth
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 T. dry sherry
1/2 t. chili garlic sauce

Sear meatballs in 2 T. sesame oil in wok over high heat until brown on both sides.  Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium, add scallion whites, garlic and ginger and stirfry quickly for 30 seconds.  Add tomatoes, beef stock, soy sauce, sherry, and chili sauce.  Return meatballs and any accumulated juices to wok.  Simmer, covered until cooked through about 15 minutes.  Remove meatballs and keep warm.

Noodles

3 pkgs. Ramen Noodles, seasoning packets discarded

Place noodles in bowl and cover with boiling water.  Let soak for 2 minutes.  When noodles are done soaking place in sauce from which the meatballs have been removed.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, toss noodles with sauce and return meatballs to sauce and noodles.  Rewarm through and place in serving bowl. Garnish with reserved scallion greens. Print Recipe


While the meatballs were cooking, I started on the egg rolls.  I have never made homemade egg rolls and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy they were.  I won't ever have to buy pre-made egg rolls ever again. Try them, I think you will be as surprised as I was. And as a bonus, they are very inexpensive to make. Chinese Restaurants must make a killing off of carry out egg rolls!!!  I am sharing this recipe at Thrifty Thursday, stop by for many money saving tips.

After you make the filling which is easy peasy, you wrap them into little bundles, fry them up until the are crispy and golden brown and enjoy!!




Place the egg roll wrapper in front of you in a diamond shape.
Put a couple tablespoons of filling in the center.


Then fold it up as if you were diapering a baby.
Bottom triangle up, both side folded in.


Roll it up and then dampen the last corner and wrap it into a nice little bundle.


I halved the recipe and was supposed to end up with 10 egg rolls.
I ended up with 9, which was plenty since there were only 4 of us.


They only take a few minutes to fry up a beautiful, crispy brown.

Shrimp and Vegetable Egg Rolls
loosely adapted from All Recipes, Awesome Egg Rolls by Rouver

3 c. Napa Cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
1 small celery stalk, diced
1 T. sweet onion, diced
5 Large cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and diced
1 T. soy sauce
dash garlic powder
1 egg, scrambled, cooked and cooled
1 t. cornstarch
Egg Roll wrappers
Canola Oil for frying

In large bowl mix together cabbage, carrot, celery, onion, shrimp, soy sauce, garlic powder and scrambled egg.  Sprinkle with cornstarch and let set for 5 minutes.

Place egg roll wrapper diagonally in front of you and put 2 T. of filling in center.  Fold bottom over filling, wrap sides around bottom and roll the egg roll up, taking the last corner and wetting it to attach to the roll as pictured above.

Heat 2 or 3 inches of oil into a large fry pan to approx. 350*.  Carefully place each egg roll into the oil and fry until brown and crispy, approximately 2-3 minutes.  Drain on paper towels and keep warm until ready to serve. Print Recipe


4 comments:

  1. Wendy darling... you should have your own cooking show!

    Lovely R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought of using ramen noodles for anything like this. Harley loves Ramen noodles. But she just eats them the regular way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never eaten Ramen Noodles. Frank eats them at work and I am constantly on him about the high sodium content. I figured these were okay because I was discarding the flavoring. I know people that eat Ramen love it so it is probably good that I have never tried them.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.