Sunday, May 25, 2014

A Blast from the Past

We are invited to the Lents' house for a barbecue this afternoon and I am taking dessert.  I wanted to take something summery and light and for some reason my mind went back to when I was a kid and my Mom would make us Jello Poke Cakes.  Mom usually used strawberry jello with strawberries and cool whip but I had just made Strawberry Almond Sponge-cakes so I didn't want to have something so similar this weekend.  I also prefer making my own whipping cream, I am not a big cool whip fan.

I decided to try an Orange Poke Cake using orange jello and and mandarin oranges and frosted with whipped heavy cream.

For those of you, younger than I, who might never have heard of a Jello Poke Cake, they were all the rage in the 60's and 70's when I was growing up.  They are easy to throw together, moist and delicious.  You are going to want to try one for your next pot-luck dinner.



Bake the cake, let cool and then poke with holes.
I used a large 3 pronged fork.



Besides the cake the only other ingredients are the oranges and jello.
And the whipped cream you will add after a few hours or the next day.


Layer on the mandarin oranges.
Pour the jello over everything and throw it in the refrigerator.


When ready to serve, whip the cream and frost the cake.
I had an orange I was getting ready to cut up for Mom so I used some of the zest for a garnish.


Orange Poke Cake
adapted from a recipe originally on the back of Jello Gelatin.

1 box white cake mix or your favorite recipe
1 lge. pkg. orange jello
1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
1 pint heavy cream
1 T. powdered sugar

Bake the cake per package directions using a 9"x13" pan.  With a skewer poke holes in even intervals throughout the top of the cake. Layer the mandarin oranges over the cake.  Dissolve the jello in 2 cups hot water then add  2 cups cold water and pour over the cake and mandarin oranges.  Refrigerate several hours or overnight.  Before serving whip heavy cream with powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy.  Spread the whipped cream over the cake. Print Recipe

Linking up with Inspiration Monday party, stop by and see what others are sharing.
Making this Blast from the Past helped me to Thrive at Home.  Come and share how you Thrive at Home with us too.

6 comments:

  1. I remember this from my older teen years....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised because Kirsten, John and John's parents had never heard of it before.

      Delete
  2. This looks so good - we love anything with oranges! Thanks for sharing. Have a great Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lana, I'm glad you stopped by and wish you the same.

      Delete
  3. This is the first thing I ever baked with my mom, but we used strawberries and strawberry jello. We took it to every church supper and neighborhood cookout we ever went to. Thanks for this blast from the past! Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom always used strawberries too. I hope you had a great weekend.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.