Saturday, May 10, 2014

Food n Flix: The Bridesmaids

I am very excited about this new group that I have joined called Food n Flix.  Each month someone in the group chooses a movie for you to watch.  You watch the movie and then make a meal that is inspired by the movie.  This caught my attention right away because for many years I belonged to a Cook and Book Club.  Each month a host would choose a book for us all to read and then we would all meet at the host's house where she would prepare a meal for us that was inspired by the book.  It was a lot of fun.

This month's Food n Flix is hosted by Evelyne of Cheap Ethnic Eatz.  Evelyne chose the movie The Bridesmaids.  If you want to join in the fun you can learn how here,

Bridesmaids (2011) Poster

I had only seen bits and pieces of this movie so I was looking forward to watching the entire thing. The movie is from 2011 so I found it playing on the USA Channel.  It was, of course, edited for content and time but I think I still got the gist of the movie.  It was a great, star studded cast and very funny!!

Well, I certainly did not want to make a meal inspired by the Brazilian Steakhouse scene.  I draw the line at giving my family food poisoning LOL.

And then, when they were on the flight to Vegas, it started storming here and my satellite started acting whacky so then I again got to watch just bits and pieces.  Very frustrating.  So I looked and saw that it was playing again in two days and set it to record.

I was finally able to finish watching the movie.  I especially enjoyed watching the relationship between Annie and Rhodes develop.  In one scene, Annie makes a cake in the shape of a carrot with an I'm Sorry message on it and drops it off at Rhodes' house.

This was my inspiration to make a carrot cake but not in the shape of a carrot because I am not quite that creative.  So here is my recipe for Carrot Cake inspired by The Bridesmaids.


This is an easy cake.  
Everything goes into the mixing bowl and gets mixed just until combined.


Pour into a prepared pan and bake.
Mine sunk a little in the center when it cooled but that's okay.
That is why we have frosting!!!





Carrot Cake ala The Bridesmaids
adapted from Allrecipes.com, submitted by Tammy Elliot

4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
dash salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cloves
3 c. grated carrots
1 c. raisins

In large bowl of stand mixer combine all ingredients using paddle attachment.  Pour into a 9x13" pan that has been greased and floured.  Bake at 350* for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool completely before frosting.  Print Recipe

Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 c. butter, softened
8 oz. Neufchatel cheese, softened
3 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 t. milk
Chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired

Cream butter and cheese in a medium bowl of stand mixer affixed with paddle attachment.   Gradually add sugar, vanilla and milk. Beat until smooth and creamy.  Frost the top of the cake, leaving it in the pan in which it was baked.  Sprinkle with Chopped nuts if desired.  Wonderful frosting for use with Carrot Cake or Spice Cake.  Print Recipe




`

14 comments:

  1. Oh yum.....one of my favorite cakes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, and there are leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Love carrot cake and your looks awesome Wendy. Thank you so much for participating and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evelyne. I added the link up to the post. Looking forward to seeing what the movie inspired in others.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to Food 'n Flix! The carrot connotations were definitely my favorite parts of the movie. Your cake looks sooo good! :)

    I think all the slots are filled up for this year, but if you'd ever like to host a round of F'nF, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would like that Heather, by the time there are openings I should have figured out what the heck is going on LOL.

      Delete
  4. Welcome, Wendy! I will take that center piece with the extra frosting, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, everyone has been very nice. I am glad I found this group.

      Delete
  5. G'day Wendy and a great cake and post for Evelyne's hosting of Food 'n Flix movie challenge this month!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Joanne. I look forward to this months challenge with Moonstruck.

      Delete
  6. Perfect Wendy! I loved the carrot cake apology scenes. I would definitely have to fight off the racoons for this one if someone was silly enough to leave it on the porch. ;-)

    Welcome to Food 'n Flix! BTW--if you are looking for a virtual foodie book club, check out Cook the Books: http://cookthebooksclub.blogspot.com/ We read a bi-monthly food-focused book (both fiction & non-fiction) then make and post a dish inspired by it. I am hosting June/July with The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen, by Jacques Pepin. I am traveling but the announcement post should be up on the CTB site soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, Thanks so much for the invitation, as you can see from my post I once belonged to a cook and book club and I loved it!! I am absolutely going to check it out and I love your choice for the book, It should be a very interesting read.

      Delete
  7. Oh, yum! It was so sad to me to see that cake in the movie go uneaten. Welcome to Food 'n Flix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. I can assure you that our cake here did not go uneaten LOL.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.