Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Sore Muscles, Sharing Lunch and Split Pea Soup

After dinner last night we were still talking about "Saving Mr. Banks" and how interesting it was so I looked and saw that I could rent "Mary Poppins" on the television.  We watched "Mary Poppins" with a whole new perspective.  It was fun watching how the characters in the movie compared to the author, P. L. Travers, and the characters in her life.
 
 
This shot of Julie Andrews portraying "Mary Poppins" is a
duplicate of the stance taken by Emma Thompson portraying P.L. Travers
 


 


Heading back to Kickboxing today.  Monday we did a LOT of pushups and situps, so this morning I can't laugh or raise my arms.  It should be an interesting class LOL.


After Kickboxing, Kim and I are going to lunch together.  It seems like we haven't had a chance to sit and visit since before the Holidays so I am looking forward to our time together.


Before Kickboxing though, I am going to throw together my Split Pea Soup that we are having for dinner tonight.  I love crockpot meals, especially on days like today where I will be gone for the majority of the day.  When I get home from the food pantry tonight I will throw the dinner rolls in the oven, take the meat off of the ham bone and dinner will be ready to go.

 
You will need a nice meaty ham bone, onion, carrots, celery and split peas, of course.
I use half chicken broth and half water but you can use all water if you want.
 
 
I had 2 small stalks of celery and one large carrot.
 
 
And a large onion so I only used half.
 
 
Throw everything in your crockpot and add seasonings of your choice.
Today I used thyme, basil and pepper.
I don't add salt due to the saltiness of the ham.
I usually add a bay leaf but I was out. 
I also added a minced garlic clove today.
 
 
I covered it with 8 cups of liquid.
1/2 chicken broth and half water.
Set the time for 8 hrs. and go take care of business.
 
 
After 6 or 7 hrs. remove the bone. 
The ham will be falling off.
Remove any fat and cut the ham into bite size pieces.
Return meat to soup.
You can now serve the soup or leave it cooking on low heat until you are ready to serve.
 
 
Enjoy!!
 

Split Pea Soup

1 pkg. split peas
1 meaty ham bone or ham hock
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 t. thyme or marjoram
1/2 t. basil
1 bay leaf, optional
Pepper to taste
4 c. chicken broth
4 c. water

Place all ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.   After 6 or 7 hrs. remove ham bone and let cool enough to handle.  Trim meat from bone and return meat to pot.  Remove bay leaf if used.  You can now serve the soup or hold it on low heat in the crockpot until you are ready to serve.  If the soup gets too thick you can add some more water.    Print Recipe


Sharing my Split Pea Soup Recipe at Thrifty Thursday.



2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for sticking with Kick boxing. That split pea soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's killing me Paula but I am very tired of feeling very tired all the time.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.