Monday, January 27, 2014

Meatless Monday Vegetarian Stir Fry

In this household I try to have at least one non meat dinner entrĂ©e each week.  I chose Mondays to be Meatless.  We don't adhere to Meatless Monday for breakfast and lunch but I do try to adhere to it for dinners. 

Tonight I am making a Vegetarian Stir Fry.  When I make meatless stir fry I try to include mushrooms and/or eggplant because I consider these to be "meaty" vegetables.

I love having Stir Fry because it is so fast and easy.  I prep all the vegetables ahead of time and then when we get hungry I start the Stir Fry and dinner is on the table in 15 minutes.  Unless you are making rice and then the rice takes about 35-45 minutes.

 
I gather all my ingredients.
These will vary according to what I have in my refrigerator.
 
 
I always start with onion.
Today I had half of a red onion in my fridge.
You can use any onion you have, including scallions.
 
 
And garlic, minced.
These get stir fried first in 1 T. oil.
Today I am using Dark Sesame Oil.
As soon as the onion and garlic is fragrant I add another T of oil and....
 
 
Eggplant
 
 
Zucchini
 
 
Mushrooms
 
 
And the white part of the Bok Choy.
I also add 1/4 t. crushed red pepper at this time.
Continue to Stir Fry these vegetables until crisp-tender.
 
 
Add the Bok Choy Greens and the
 
 
Trimmed Snow Peas at the very end along with 1/4 c. Soy Sauce.
These last vegetables cook very quickly.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Eggplant and Zucchini Stir Fry
 
2 T. Dark Sesame Oil, divided
1/2 of a large onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 med Eggplant or 2 Chinese Eggplants, cut into chunks or rounds
2 zucchini, cut into half moons
8 oz. mushrooms, halved or quartered if large.
1 head Bok Choy, whites and greens separated and sliced.
1 pkg. Snow Peas, trimmed
1/4 c. Soy Sauce
 
Heat 1 T. of the oil in a wok over medium high heat.  Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant but not brown.   Add the second T of oil to the pan.  Add the Eggplant, Zucchini, Mushrooms, the white parts of the Bok Choy and the crushed red pepper flakes.  Stir and Cook until crisp-tender.  Add the greens and the snow peas along with 1/4 c. soy sauce. Cook until greens start to wilt and are warmed through.  Print Recipe
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I love, love, love snowpeas. I like to buy them and just snack on them like chips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and you can make a side salad by tossing them with sesame oil, salt and black sesame seeds. Delicious!!!!!

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.