Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Year of Pizza

I have decided that for this year, 2014, I am going to make a new pizza each month.  I LOVE pizza!!  I could eat pizza 4 nights a week....I don't....but I could.  So I have decided that each month during this year I am going to make a homemade pizza.  I will be trying different crusts and different toppings. I will post pictures and recipes.  I invite you to join me on this journey. Try my recipes and let me know about your recipes that have been successful.


I am starting with a pizza I have done before.  Just because this is a new adventure, I am starting so late in the month and there is comfort in recreating something that is already known to you.  I love this pizza and I hope you and your family enjoy it also.




The recipe is adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #71.  I know, I know...I am very predictable.  I think a lot of my  pizza recipes this year will come from them but I will try to change it up each month.  Let's get this party started!!!!




Cheeseburger Pizza
adapted from Cuisine at Home


1 c. warm water (100-110*)
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 t. honey
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. bread flour
1 t. kosher salt
2 T. olive oil


Combine water, yeast and honey in a small bowl.  Let stand for 5 min. or until foamy.  Combine flours and salt in a large bowl of a stand mixer.  Add yeast mixture and oil.  Mix on low speed with dough hook until blended.  Dough should be smooth and spring back to the touch. Shape the dough into a ball, place into an oiled bowl, turning the ball of dough so all sides are coated.  Cover with a towel dampened with warm water and place in a warm area.  Allow to rise until doubled in size, approx. 1 hour. 


Divide dough in half.  Wrap half in plastic and place in freezer for another day.  Cover the other half of the dough with a damp towel until ready to use.


1 lb. ground beef
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. ketchup
1/4 c. mustard
2 c. shredded lettuce
1/2 c. sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 c. dill relish with juice
1/2 c. miracle whip
1 c. shredded cheese ( I use a Colby/Jack blend)


Place a baking stone into a cold oven. Preheat oven to 500*. 


Season ground beef with salt and pepper and brown in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through.  Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.


Whisk together Ketchup and Mustard, set aside.  Combine lettuce and tomatoes in bowl.  Whisk miracle whip and dill relish together. 


Place the ball of remaining dough onto a floured surface and roll into a 14" circle.  Place on a pizza peel that has been coated with corn meal.


Spread the ketchup/mustard mixture onto the pie crust leaving a 1/2" border.  Top the sauce with the ground meat and cheese.  Slide pizza onto the  baking stone and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is brown.


Remove from oven.  Top with the lettuce and tomatoes, drizzle with dill pickle sauce.

Print Recipe

3 comments:

  1. That pizza looks fabulous. I have never made a 'homemade' pizza in my life. You just might inspire me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great one Paula...the kids will love it and it is really very easy. I made the crust and left to go to the food pantry. Frank contacted me while I was gone and said the dough was not rising. I asked him to run out, get fresh yeast, and try it again. So he did and it turned out perfectly. I either have to use my yeast up faster or just always buy new for each yeast baking project I guess.

      Delete
  2. LOVE that you are embarking on this journey. Or have been. Who doesn't love pizza!?

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.