Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sharing my Short Ribs

Hi and Happy Humpday....no, I am not a Camel but I am still happy it is Humpday and the weekend will be here soon.

So, I originally had Beef Stroganoff on the menu but then my darling mil sent home Beef Stroganoff with Frank on Monday so we had that instead of the poached eggs that were originally planned for Meatless Monday.  Let me tell you, that was an easy trade to make....Mom Klik's  Stroganoff is delicious!!!

Since that took today's dinner off the menu, I took a look in my freezer and found a package of beautiful short ribs.

There is about 2.5 lbs of Short Ribs Here.

I like short ribs, it is kind of like having individual little pot roasts and they are easy to prepare using your crockpot.  You need at least one per person because much of the weight is bones.


I dredge them in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and brown them in cooking oil.
I use coconut oil but olive oil works too.

While the ribs are browning, I prepare my vegetables.  You can use any kind of vegetables that you have on hand.  For those who have been following me you know that most of my meals are dependent on what I have in my fridge, freezer or pantry.

I chopped up half of a large sweet onion.


Added a package of organic baby carrots


and a stalk of celery.


I placed these in the bottom of the crockpot and topped them with the browned short ribs.


I minced up 3 cloves of garlic and sprinkled over the meat.


I deglazed the pan with a bottle of dark beer, but I have also used wine, canned tomatoes with their juice, beef broth or even water.  If you use water sprinkle some beef bullion in with it. Once the pan was deglazed and the beer was reduced I added a cup of beef broth.

Poured the beer and broth over the ribs and set the slow cooker to 8 hrs.  How easy is that??

I would usually have a green vegetable since I have carrots in with the ribs but I had some cute little dumpling squash from my CSA that needed to be used so......


I placed them on a foil lined baking sheet. Seasoned them liberally with salt and pepper and added a pat of butter.


Flipped them over and they are all ready to go in the oven.
After about 45 min. I will flip them over again, fill them with my homemade applesauce
oo (or you can use store bought or none at all) and bake for another 15 min. 
Sprinkle with cinnamon and they are ready to serve.

I am working food pantry tonight so this will be ready when I get home this evening.  Frank will take care of whipping up some mashed potatoes and putting the squash in the oven.

Beef Short Ribs

2.5 - 4 lbs. Beef Short Ribs (at least 1 rib per person)
1/2 c. flour seasoned with salt and pepper
1 T. cooking oil
1/2 c. onion, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped into 1" pieces or a small bag of baby carrots
1 stalk of celery, chopped into 1/2" pieces
3 cloves garlic
1 bottle of dark beer or 1 cup of red wine
1 c. beef broth

Dredge ribs in seasoned flour. Heat cooking oil in large fry pan. Brown ribs on both sides in hot oil.
Place vegetables in bottom of slow cooker, top with browned ribs. Deglaze fry pan with the beer or wine. Boil until reduced by half.  Add broth and scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Pour over the ribs and vegetables.  Cook on low heat for 8-10 hrs. Print Recipe

Baked Squash stuffed with Applesauce

Dumpling or Acorn Squash
Salt and Pepper
Butter
Applesauce
Cinnamon

Cut each squash in half and remove seeds. (They are great roasted)  Place skin side down on a foil lined baking sheet and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.  Put a pat of butter into each cavity.  Flip the squash over so that it is skin side up and roast at 350* for 45 minutes.  Flip Squash over and fill each cavity with 1/4 c. applesauce, return to oven and continue to bake for 15 min. more.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve. Print Recipe


And Dinner is Served!


I have linked up with Gospel Homemaking to share these recipes with you.
And also with Wednesday Whatsit's











No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.