Sunday, October 27, 2013

Savoring Sunday

Mark Schultz put on a great concert last night to benefit CRI.  It was very powerful and you could feel God's Spirit working through the audience.  I would highly recommend seeing him if he is playing in your area. 

Today we were supposed to go flying with Dawn and Tom but once again.....life got in the way.  Dawn and Tom went out yesterday to get shrubs, plants and trees to landscape around their new deck and need to finish getting them planted today so they needed to cancel out.  It is unfortunate because it is a gorgeous day for a flight.  Frank thought about the two of us just going but then decided that since it was so nice he was going to wash window and change out the water in the hot tub.

So I think I am going to spend today Savoring a free Sunday.  I am going to work on another Christmas gift. Since we are not eating out tonight I am going to make Swedish Meatballs, Mashed Potatoes and Corn.  I think I will pick Mom up early since we are going to be home.  I am sure Dick and Jackie are ready for a break. Kurt has gone up north hunting so I have invited Kim to join us for dinner. Tingting loves meatballs so I will make extra for her to take in her lunch this week.

As I was sitting here typing, I all of the sudden heard my turkeys at the back door....I think they are saying "Let me in, it is cold out here".

Look how big they are getting.  They are as tall as the chairs.  And they poop big too.....looks like I will have to clean the deck today also. (Really, I will let Frank clean the deck when he goes out to wash the windows even though I will have to hear him gripe about the Turkeys being too big to be free roaming and pooping all over everything). They still have 3 1/2 more weeks of growing to do.  Looks like lots of leftovers this Thanksgiving.

I went into my recipe folder to pull out my Swedish Meatball recipe and this is what I found.....
 
I have all these recipes that I take out and throw into this binder in no particular order and not even on the binder rings, just thrown in between the cover.  Of course whenever I want a recipe I have to dig through the entire pile sooooooo......Since it is Organizing October....and I got done with my Storage Room early....Today I am going to organize these recipes.
 
 
 
First I sorted into 4 piles. 
 
  1. Soups, Salads and Appetizers
  2. Main Dishes
  3. Vegetables and Side Dishes
  4. Desserts and Miscellaneous.
 
Then I subdivided each of those piles into categories alphabetically. 
I photocopied any that were damaged or not full sheets so as to have them all equal.
 
 
Pulled out a larger binder and my hole punch.
 
 
And here is my finished project. All organized so that my recipes are easy to find.
I will have to pick up some tabbed divider sheets so for now I just used sticky notes.
 
 
While I was sorting, copying and punching the recipes I found many that I had not even tried yet so I think I will be using my new recipe binder for the next few weeks Try it Tuesdays.
 
 
And here is my recipe for Swedish Meatballs. I have doubled it.  You can halve it if you want but they freeze very well so go for it an make a big batch.
 
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork (or you can use all ground beef if you prefer)
2 c. fresh bread crumbs
1 c. milk
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. each, ginger, allspice and nutmeg.
 
Saute onion in 1 T. butter or olive oil.  Mix in with all other ingredients. Shape into 1 1/2-2" balls and bake at 400* for 20 minutes.  While meatballs are baking make the gravy.
 
Gravy
 
1 c. butter
1 c. flour
4 c. beef broth
salt and pepper to taste.
 
Melt butter in large sauce pan.  Blend in flour and cook until brown and bubbly.  Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.  Taste and season with salt and pepper.  Add meatballs to the gravy and heat through.  Print Recipe
 
 
I use my cookie scoop to portion out the meat mixture and then I roll them into balls.
A double recipe will give you 90 Meatballs.  A serving is 4-5 Meatballs so this gives you enough for a large gathering or for your family and one or two freezer meals.
 
 
Once the meatballs are cooked I remove them to a plate.
You can portion and freeze them now and make the gravy later or you can make the gravy and freeze them completed.  I am going to make enough gravy today for all of them.
 
 
When you are ready to serve, make the gravy, add the meatballs.
Warm through and enjoy.
 
I started on another casserole caddy this afternoon.  I am using this fabric this time, I think it is very appealing for a casserole caddy.
 
All in all it was a very productive day.  I hope all of you got to Savor your Sunday.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.