Thursday, October 17, 2013

Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie

While we were out yesterday running errands we found two apple trees and 1 peach tree on sale so we grabbed them up and Frank planted them for me.  I hope they winter well.  This will give me a tiny little orchard of two pear trees, 4 apple trees, a cherry tree and a peach tree.

 
My two baby Apple Trees
 
 
And my Peach Tree.
 


It's Thursday so Dick and Jackie will be joining us for dinner.  Chicken Noodle Soup is replacing the Egg Drop Soup, I am going to get carry out Chinese Dumplings instead of making them but I will still make the Chicken Fried Rice and have decided to make a Pumpkin Pie for dessert. 

 
Pumpkin Pie Time!!
 
That makes this a quick and easy meal which will give me more time to work on the basement organizing.  I have given up on the 15 min a day goal that I originally had because I WANT MY BASEMENT BACK!!!  I am nearly there....my new goal is to have it completed by yoga time on Monday.  I am so confident that I can do this that I have asked Tamie (my cleaning girl) to wait until Monday to come instead of tomorrow so that she can scrub down the basement good.
 
I love making Chicken Fried Rice because it is a great way to use up leftovers.  It is quick and easy. And it tastes better than takeout. I normally use a bag of frozen peas and carrots but today I only had frozen mixed veggies so tonight's version includes corn and green beans too.
 
 
 
Chicken Fried Rice
 
1.5 c. cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces
4 c. cooked rice, it is best if it is cold so if you don't have leftovers make it early and refrigerate it.
2 eggs
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c. finely diced onion
1 bag frozen peas and carrots, thawed
2 T. Dark Sesame Oil
1/4 c. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
 
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or wok.  Add the onions and garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add the eggs and scramble with the onion and garlic.  Add the vegetables and chicken, cook a couple of minutes until heated through.  Add the rice and mix in with the vegetables, stirring to combine all flavors. Add the soy sauce and stir fry quickly to distribute throughout.  Print Recipe
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.