Saturday, October 18, 2014

Spooky Sunday

I got the cutest cookie cutter last week for Swapoween, that I decided to make some Halloween cutout cookies.  The best cutout cookies I have ever had were made by my friends, Kirsten and Karen for Ting and Tony's baby shower.  I contacted Karen to ask for her recipe.  She gladly provided it and mentioned that she was planning on baking Halloween cookies for her grandkids.  I suggested we make them together and I would make dinner.

Karen came over and we looked at what each of us had for Halloween cookies and what we still needed.  We decided that I would make the dough on Saturday night and on Sunday we would make the cookies.  We also decided to invite John and Kirsten to join us for cookies and dinner and then we invited Mom Klik because we hadn't seen her in a couple of weeks and were missing her.  Ting called in the morning and asked if she and Melody could join us and then I talked to Kim and she and Kurt joined us as well.

I had decided, that for dinner, I would serve the meal inspired by Food and Flix.  I will be posting a separate post for that meal which was inspired by the movie, The Terminal.

The cookie recipe, provided by Karen, is called Pie Crust Cookies.  She got it from her sister.  They are delicious.  Light and buttery, but not to sweet, which makes them perfect for frosting.


The recipe made 3 dozen large cookies.


We frosted the ghosts all white and I added mini chocolate chips for the eyes


We frosted the pumpkins orange of course with green stems


The bats turned out more gray than black.
Actually bats are more brown than black so I guess gray is okay.
I'm a poet!!

Pie Dough Cookies
Courtesy of Karen Pierce

1 1/2 c. sugar
3 sticks butter, softened
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
6 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
4 1/2 T. milk

In large bowl of stand mixer affixed with paddle attachment, cream together the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Add the flour, 1 c. at a time mixing on low speed, add the baking powder, salt, and baking soda in between cups of flour.  After the fifth cup of flour, add the milk and then the last cup of flour.  Mix well.  Halve the dough and press into discs.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to bake, roll the dough to approx. 3/8" thickness on a lightly floured surface.  Using cookie cutters cut into desired shapes and place onto cookie pans lined with parchment.  Bake at 350* for approx. 10 minutes.  You do not want the cookies to brown but you want the bottoms to be starting to turn golden.

Let cool completely on cooling racks before frosting and decorating as desired.  Print Recipe

We used this icing recipe from Wiltons.  We started with all white, made the ghosts and then separated the frosting to make the other colors by adding food coloring.


Karen wrote everyone's name on a cookie and they were used a place markers.
This is a wonderful and easy rolled cookie recipe.

Sharing this post at Inspiration Monday.




10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It would have been wonderful to have your name on one of those cookies and you sitting at my table.

      Delete
  2. I love those!! The icing is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ghost is my favorite...he's just so "boo"tiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made cookies from pie dough! What a great idea and these are super fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't made from pie dough but they turn out light and flaky, hence the name.

      Delete
  5. Your ghost cookies are so cute! Perfect for a Halloween party! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.