Monday, October 20, 2014

Meatless Mexican Monday

I didn't get  a lot accomplished today but I did get lots of baby cuddles and Ting was able to get a couple of hours of sleep so it was a good day.

We are a little concerned right now because our Bella girl is missing.  She did not greet Frank when he got home from work and we have been calling her and Frank has been driving around but we have not seen hide nor hair.  I pray she returns soon, safe and sound.

We gave our little piggie her last penicillin shot today.  She seems a little improved but not nearly as much as we had hoped.

I have not had any exercise since last Monday when I fell at skating so it has been one whole week. Tomorrow is Zumba so hopefully I will get back on track.

Today is Meatless Monday and I found this recipe at Ambitious Kitchen quite some time ago and have been wanting to make it.  I was reminded of it when going through my file of recipes to try.  It is perfect not only for Meatless Monday but also for Mexican Monday.  Frank made up a batch of his Famous Margaritas while I made dinner.

Of course, there were plenty of adaptations because I never seem to have the same stuff in the pantry and larder as others. So instead of chili pepper I used a quarter teaspoon of chili paste from Garden Gourmet.  I had to do this because, of course, I had no Red Enchilada Sauce and had to make my own which used up all of the chili pepper in the cupboard.  I did not add as much cumin as called for to adapt it more to our taste.  I also had no corn tortillas but I did have a bag of tortilla chips so I used them instead.  So to make a long story short...you can go to the link above and make the recipe as written or you can follow my recipe which turned out really delicious!!  Of course, you can always just go between recipes and adapt them to suit your tastes and available ingredients because, after all, a recipe is nothing but a guideline.


Saute your onions, garlic and jalapeno until fragrant and onion is translucent.


Add your squash and cook until fork tender, 8-10 minutes.


Add beans and stir to combine.


Add Enchilada Sauce, Corn Chips and half the cheese.
Stir to combine.


Sprinkle with remaining cheese.


Place under broiler until brown and bubbly.


Enjoy!!

Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
adapted from Ambitious Kitchen

2 t. olive oil
3 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2" dice
1 med. onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. chili paste
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 c. tortilla chips, roughly crushed
2 c. red enchilada sauce
1 1/2 c. Colby Jack Cheese

Heat olive oil over med high heat in oven safe skillet.  Add onions, garlic and jalapeno.  Season with salt and pepper and cook until fragrant and onion is translucent.  Add squash, cumin and chili paste. Cook for 8-10 minutes until squash is fork tender but not mushy and falling apart.  Add beans, chips, enchilada sauce and 1/2 c. cheese.  Stir to combine.  Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Place under broiler until hot and bubbly and cheese begins to brown.  Print Recipe

I am sharing this delicious, nutritious, easy and inexpensive meal at Thrifty Thursday this week.  Stop by for tons of money saving ideas and recipes.


4 comments:

  1. I love the way you adapt your recipes. I do that too! My family makes fun of me and calls it 'granny's doctoring up' Almost always turns out good though. I hope Bella came home safe and sound. Sorry about the piggy. What will you do. And oh what I wouldn't do for some baby cuddles. When Paige was a baby and there was a lot of sickness and dying in our family Justin would always bring her to me to cheer me up. Worked every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby cuddles do make everything better. The piggy is probably going to have to go in to the vet. Bella is home safe and sound now as you saw on FB and I never seem to have the same ingredients or tastes as the writers of these recipes LOL but you are right they always turn out well.

      Delete
    2. I am so happy that Bella was okay...

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.