Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Bavarian Meatballs for Try it Tuesday

Got back to Zumba today and I am feeling pretty good.  I couldn't squat or lunge as low as prior to my injury but I did much better than last week.

We stopped and saw Mom on the way home but she was more interested in finding Harriet and being with her than with us so we only visited about 15 minutes and then left them to entertain each other.

Last week, Grace from Life is Beautiful, stopped by my Macaroni with Kale and Creamy Pumpkin Sauce .  She had found me on Simple Supper Tuesday and decided to come and take a look at my blog.  I am so glad she did because that got me over to her blog where I found the recipe that I am made for tonight's Try it Tuesday meal.

Grace made this recipe for an October Fest party and it sounded so delicious that I instantly decided to make it this week.  I had been in the mood for meatballs anyway and had planned Swedish Meatballs for dinner last week but then the menu got changed up.  See......everything happens for a reason!

I made some minor changes to Grace's recipe.  I used seasoned bread crumbs, only 1 t. of horseradish instead of 2, I didn't add water to my meatball mixture and I had no bacon fat so I fried them in butter but had I had bacon fat I would definitely have used it! I also added a 1/2 c. of Apple cider to the sauerkraut mixture and shredded the potatoes rather than grating them.

I hope you enjoy this recipe, we sure did!  It is the quintessential comfort food.



Bavarian Meatballs
adapted from Life is Beautiful

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 egg
1 t. horseradish
1 heaping T of ketchup
salt and pepper to taste
3 T. butter
1/4  c. sweet white wine
1 t. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 t. caraway seeds
1/2 c. apple cider
2 med. potatoes, peeled and shredded
2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
2 c. sauerkraut from the dairy case, lightly rinsed
1 onion, sliced


Mix all ingredients together.  Shape into 1 1/2" balls.  Fry in hot butter until browned on all sides.  Remove to a plate and set aside.  Deglaze pan with wine scraping up any browned bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Add apple cider, brown sugar, caraway seed, salt and pepper. Stir until sugar is dissolved.  Set aside.  Combine the remaining ingredients and place in the bottom of a slow cooker.  Pour the deglazing liquid over the sauerkraut mixture.  Top with the meatballs and any juices accumulated on the plate.  Cook on high for 4-6 hrs.  Print Recipe

One year ago-Muffin Monday

4 comments:

  1. These sound like a great, interesting twist on meatballs - yumm!! Is Try It Tuesday a day to test out a new recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, so glad you liked the recipe enough to try it and even better to write about the Bavarian meatballs, and share a photo.
    Gee, I wish had more time to write on my blog, but alas there's many older posts to read, on places we've visited in nearby areas, family history, and one of my favorite pastimes reading and trying new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe was delicious and I am glad you shared it. Blogging does take a lot of time but if you have more recipes like this to share you should get them out there. YUM

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.