Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pumpkin Roll~~#PumpkinWeek


This is the 3rd day of Pumpkin week and I thought I would bring something sweet to the table. Everyone has their favorite pumpkin roll recipe and I thought I would share mine with you today. This has been a fun event for me, especially since I love pumpkin.  When I was pregnant with my daughter I craved pumpkin pie the entire time.

Pumpkin Pie is still my favorite and although I am not sharing it with you today it is liable to show up later this week (tomorrow, hint, hint) so stay tuned.


These cookie sheets with sides are also called Jelly Roll Pans.
Spray the pan with baking spray.
Line with parchment paper and spray again with baking spray.
Make your batter and spread it evenly in the pan.
Bake for only 15 minutes or less as you will see when I remove mine from the oven.


While the cake is baking, spread a clean linen towel onto your counter.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.


This is the cake after 15 minutes.
I would check it after 13 minutes next time.
I was worried that it was over done but I cut off the ends and the edges and it was fine.


Immediately flip onto the sugared towel and remove the parchment paper.


Roll up starting with short side and leave to cool in the towel.


While the cake is cooling make the frosting.


Once the cake is cool, unroll and spread with the frosting.
I cut off the left edge of this cake prior to rolling it back up with the frosting.


Roll the cake back up around the frosting.
Cut off the ends to even them up.
Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.


Enjoy!


Pumpkin Roll

3 eggs
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
3/4 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
Powdered Sugar for sprinkling

Filling

1 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 T. butter, softened
1 (8oz) pkg Neufchatel Cheese

Grease a 15x10x1" jelly roll pan, line with parchment paper and then spray with baking spray.  In large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat eggs on high speed for 4-5 minutes.  Gradually add sugar and pumpkin alternating between each addition. Add the remaining ingredients, except for powdered sugar, and fold in on low speed. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.  Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 12-15 minutes or until it springs back when lightly touched.

While cake is baking, sprinkle a linen kitchen towel with powdered sugar.  When cake is finished baking turn immediately onto the towel and remove parchment paper.  Roll up in towel, starting at the short end.  Allow to cool while wrapped in towel.

While cake is cooling, make the filling by beating together all ingredients until smooth.

Carefully unroll the cake.  Spread filling over the cake and roll up again.  Trim ends so that they are even,  Chill until ready to serve.  Print Recipe

I am sharing this post at Wednesday Whatsits...check this site out!

 #PumpkinWeek is hosted by Terri from Love and Confections. We are celebrating our love of the season with a whole week of pumpkin goodies, leading up to National Pumpkin Day. 17 Food Bloggers have come together to share over 65 recipes with you. In addition to homemade pumpkin puree, pie, and cookies, we are also sharing savory pumpkin dishes like hummus, chili and pumpkin corn chowder. Come back every day for #PumpkinWeek recipes. You can also find these great recipes and more on Love and Confections' #PumpkinWeek Pinterest Board!

Check out all the other #PumpkinWeek Bloggers and their recipes:

Pumpkin Pie Cream Cheese Truffles by Love and Confections
Pumpkin-Vanilla Bean Madeleines by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
White Chocolate Drizzled Pumpkin Scones by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
S'mores Pumpkin Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
Homemade Pumpkin Puree by Happy Food Healthy Life
Pumpkin Mole by Curious Cuisiniere
Drunken Pumpkin Seeds by Life Tastes Good
Pumpkin Roll by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Pumpkin Lasagna by My Catholic Kitchen
Cinnamon Pumpkin Bread by Making Miracles
Pumpkin Quinoa Oatmeal Bake by The Pajama Chef
Pumpkin Toffee Dump Cake by That's My Home
Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Pancakes by Dizzy Busy and Hungry

12 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love a pumpkin roll! Your filling sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin roll is such a classic recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, that is lovely! I only do rolls at Christmas when I make my Bûche de Noël. I am going to make your pumpkin version...maybe for Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing with #PumpkinWeek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Camilla. Much easier than your Buche de Noel, I assure you of that.

      Delete
  4. I have never tried a roll. It looks very easy though. We aren't really much into desserts at our house. I guess that is a good thing, huh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very easy and delicious...I wish I wasn't a dessert person. We don't have dessert unless there is company over though.

      Delete
  5. Pumpkin rolls are so yummy! The filling sounds delish! What a great addition to #pumpkinweek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Terri and thanks so much for hosting. It was a great week

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.