Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Caramel Apple Pretzels for Foodie Extravaganza

I have joined a new fun group on facebook called Foodie Extravaganza.  Each month the host chooses a theme and the rest of us create recipes to go along with the theme chosen.  Well here, Let me just share this with you:

Welcome to the Foodie Extravaganza!  

We are a group of bloggers who love to blog about food!  Each month we will decide on an all-famous National Monthly Food Holiday in which we will base our recipes around. This month the ingredient is pretzels with an optional ingredient of caramel.  Yes, October is National Pretzel Month along with a whole array of other delightful things!! Get excited!! We hope you all enjoy our delicious pretzel treats this month and come back to see what we bring for you next month.  If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza.  We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.

Now you know me....I could not resist joining this group.  I do love my cooking challenges.  They make me smile.

I made pretzels for the first time last week as part of the #10DaysofTailgate Challenge.  I was surprised at how relatively easy making soft pretzels is and I was very pleased with the recipe that I used from Slow Roasted Italian.  I am using the same pretzel recipe today but adding to it so I can get into the theme of our Fall Inspired Extravaganza.


As you saw in my Day 4 post I warmed the beer to between 110-120*


 I added some yeast and honey and let it get nice and foamy before adding the flour and salt.


Except this time when the dough was done kneading, I added 2 apples, diced small, and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
I continued allowing the dough to knead to incorporate the apples.
I needed to add quite a bit more flour to adjust for the moisture from the apple mixture.
I kept adding a tablespoon at a time until it reached the right consistency.


Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured counter.


Cut off a hunk and, using lightly floured hands, roll into a strand.
If the apples pop out just keep rolling and they will go back in.


Shape the strand into a pretzel shape.
Drop into the boiling water and cook until it rises to the surface.
Remove from water, using a spider or a slotted spoon.


Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Bake at 450* for 13-15 minutes.


When they are done baking drizzle with your favorite caramel sauce.


Allow to cool, remove to a serving platter and enjoy.

Caramel Apple Pretzels

12 oz. beer, warmed to between 110-120*
2 1/4 t. active dry yeast 
2 T. honey
3 1/4 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1 t. kosher salt
2 apples, peeled and cut into small dice ( I used Honey Crisp apples)
1 T. cinnamon/sugar mixture (made from 1/2 c. sugar and 1 t. cinnamon or you can use store bought)
1/2 c. baking soda
1 egg
Kosher salt for sprinkling
Caramel Sauce for drizzling--I used Sanders which is a local company.

Pour warmed beer into large bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment.  Sprinkle with yeast, stir in honey and let set for 5-10 minutes until nice and foamy.

Place diced apples into a small bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, shake to combine.

While waiting for the yeast to proof, fill an 8 qt. pot with water and bring to a boil, lower heat to medium.  In a small bowl beat egg with 2 T. of water and set aside.

Add flour and salt to mixer and knead for about 3 minutes until dough comes together into a ball. Add the apple mixture and continue to need adding additional flour, one tablespoon at a time as needed until dough is tacky but not sticky.  It took quite a few tablespoons to get to the proper consistency. Turn dough onto a clean, lightly floured, countertop.

Cut a piece of dough off and using lightly floured hands roll into a strand about 14-16" in length.  Form the strand into a pretzel shape.  Continue until all dough is formed into pretzels.

Carefully add the baking soda to the boiling water, it will foam up and then settle down.  When the water returns to a medium boil with no foam, add the pretzels, one at a time, for about 30 seconds or until they float to the top.

Remove from the water to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Do not allow to touch each other.  When all pretzels are on sheet, brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with kosher salt.  Bake in a preheated 450* oven for 13-15 minutes.  

Drizzle with caramel sauce.  (You may have to warm the sauce if it has been refrigerated) Allow to cool before serving.



And here is what the rest of the Crew cooked up:
I am sharing this post at Thrifty Thursday.  Making your own Pretzels is easy peasy and you can make a whole slew of them for what you pay for one at the local pretzel stand.

17 comments:

  1. Mmm... those look like little bites of sticky deliciousness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebekah, I was pleased with how well they turned out.

      Delete
  2. Okay, I knew I was going to have to make pretzels with apples in them before the month was over, but now I'm thinking I may have to make them before the DAY is over! These sound so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love cooking challenges too. And wow impressed with your original spin on the pretzel here, looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you mixed the apples in rather than trying to stuff the pretzels, Wendy. And that caramel sauce on top of the sprinkling of kosher salt, that is my favorite part! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding the apples to the dough?! Why didn't I think of that? These look beautiful!

    Thanks for joining the party this month! I'm excited for next month already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting Lauren and for inviting me to join you

      Delete
  6. Okay, wow. I LOVE these, Wendy. Nice job. from one party to the next... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.