Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pretzel Dogs El Diablo--Celebrating Day 4 of #10DaysofTailgate


Hello.  I am so excited to bring you my Tailgate Recipe today.  I am making Pretzel Hot Dogs today and I am going to serve them up with a trio of  El Diablo Hot and Spicy Mustards.  I have chosen to serve the Texas Chili, Mango and Jalapeno Flavors.  Texas Chili for me.  Jalapeno for Tingting and Tony who are joining us today and Mango for Frank who is very spice sensitive.



The great thing about this recipe is that it is so versatile.  You could make it using cocktail sausages if you were having a big crowd and wanted finger foods.  You can use any kind of sausage that you would like, not just hot dogs, and the El Diablo Mustards are a perfect accompaniment.  You could put out all 6 flavors and let your guests go wild.

El Diablo is just one of our sponsors for this great event.  There is a whole slew of them including Thermoworks who provided us with a cool Thermapop that I used to make sure the temperature of my liquid was just perfect for this recipe.

These Pretzel Dogs would probably also be delicious with any of the NOT Ketchup flavors available especially if you have spice sensitive folks or young kids that you are trying to please.


Just one other thing that I want to mention about our fantastic sponsors.  They have also included great prize packages for you, our readers!!!  Please rush over to this site and register.  Then rush right back here and take a look at my recipe.

There are tons of Pretzel Dog recipes out there.  I used this one by The Slow Roasted Italian because:
  1. It had beer
  2. It was easy peasy
  3. I could prepare them ahead of time and bake them when ready to serve
I made this recipe with very slight adaptations.  The original said this made enough dough for 8 full size dogs.  There was tons of dough left over...which was fine....who is going to complain about making and snacking on soft pretzels?  The recipe also recommended not using flour when rolling out the dough....I found it was much easier to work with when using a little flour.  Other than those 2 things the recipe was made as written.  Perhaps I didn't add enough flour when making the dough...you can play with yours and decide what works best for you.


Warm beer to 110-120*


Mix with yeast and honey and let sit until nice and foamy.
Now add flour and salt and knead until a tacky (but not sticky) ball forms.


Turn out onto counter and roll even portions into 12" strands.


Wrap the strands around the hot dogs, crimping the ends together.


I found it was easier if I floured my hands while making the strands.

Perfect!!



Pretzel Dogs El Diablo
taken from The Slow Roasted Italian

2 1/4 t. active dry 
12 oz. beer, warmed to 110-120*
2 T. honey
3 1/4 c. unbleached, all purpose flour
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 c. baking soda
1 large egg
Kosher Salt for sprinkling
8 Hot Dogs

Pour warmed beer into large bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment.  Sprinkle with yeast, stir in honey and let set for 5-10 minutes until nice and foamy.

While waiting for the yeast to proof, fill an 8 qt. pot with water and bring to a boil, lower heat to medium.  In a small bowl beat egg with 2 T. of water and set aside.

Add flour and salt to mixer and knead for about 3 minutes until dough comes together into a ball. Add additional flour, one tablespoon at a time as needed until dough is tacky but not sticky.  Turn dough onto a clean countertop.

Cut the dough into quarters and then cut each of the quarters into quarters.  You will have 16 even pieces of dough.  With floured hands roll each piece of dough into a 12" long strand.  Place end of dough strand onto the hot dog and twist it around the hot dog, pinch the ends so they stay together.

Carefully add baking soda to the water, it will bubble up and then calm down.  Place hot dogs, by batches into the hot water for about 30 seconds or until they float to the top.  Remove with a slotted spoon to a parchment lined cookie sheet, so that they are not touching.  Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with Coarse Kosher Salt.

Bake in an oven preheated to 450* for 11-13 minutes or until tops are golden brown.  Print Recipe


Here's what the rest of the team brought to the table...

Starters
DBLT Wraps by Miss Laura’s Kitchen
Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup by From Gate to Plate

Dips
Hot Mexican Quinoa Dip by The Pajama Chef

Hands
Carrot Habanero Duck Meatballs by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

Sweets 

Quince Hand-Pies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla


8 comments:

  1. Yumm!! I haven't had a pretzel dog in... I can't remember how long. Definitely need to remedy that! I bet the El Diablo mustards are PERFECT with those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretzel dogs rock! These will be terrific as a tailgate treat or an Oktoberfest offering. Totally YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This's the first time I ever made them and was pleased at how easy they were and how delicious as well

      Delete
  3. Love this! I need a good soft pretzel recipe. I might try this out. Thanks for sharing with #10daysoftailgate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first attempt at pretzels and it turned out really well.

      Delete
  4. Anything hot dog, I'm a sucker for! These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hot dog snobs in our house though. We are very picky about what kind of dogs we eat.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.