Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Apple Pie Thumbprints and a Book Review

Sugar Cookies with an Apple Pie Jam filling are sure to be a hit at the Christmas Cookie Walk or Bake Sale Fundraiser this holiday season.

Apple Pie Thumbprints

I was inspired to make these cookies after reading Murder by Chocolate.  The first in the Bite-Sized Bakery Cozy Mysteries.......


Murder by Chocolate

Okay, full disclosure, I went into my library app. I purposely looked for a cozy mystery set in a Bakery that I could listen to while making cookies just so that I could cross off this category on the Bingo Card that I am trying to get a coverall on.  This challenge is being hosted by Heather of Foodies Read.  

Foodies Read Bingo Card.

This book is a typical cozy mystery but not one that will have me continuing the series.  The Bakery in this series is on a Food Truck in Maine where Ruby and her friend, Bee have traveled for their grand opening on the beach. They don't have the bakery open for long because the food truck is confiscated in the first chapter due to a murder investigation.

So Ruby and Bee set out to solve the murder so that they can get the truck back and get baking again. So although the only food mentioned from their bakery was a chocolate cake, there was a lot of food mentioned that was prepared for others and eaten by them, including cookies.

I like grabbing a cozy mystery when I want a quick read that I can finish in a couple of hours.  They are great for at the beach, on an airplane, or for listening to when you go for a walk or in this case, while baking cookies and doing housework. 

I'm not sorry that I listened to it.  It wasn't terrible but Ruby's character didn't make me want to sit down and become friends with her.  Normally, I become engaged with the protagonist in a cozy mystery.

But it did help me to fill in another category on the Bingo Card with Set in a Bakery.  I have 3 more categories to go.  Here are the recipes that I shared in the other categories.......

I also shared a recipe for Pork and Mandarin Tacos when I reviewed Little Red House during this challenge but for which I had no available category.

Apple Pie Thumbprints pin

Our son owns a jam company that he calls Tony's Sweet Eats.  If you click on the name of his company it will take you right to his Facebook homepage.  His jams are amazing and I would say that even if he wasn't my son.  

A lucky benefit to us is that we get to taste all of his jams.  This apple pie jam, which he calls Snow's Apple, is like eating apple pie filling from a jar.  I thought it would be wonderful to use in thumbprint cookies and I was right.  Each cookie is like a little bite of apple pie.

You can, of course, use any flavor jam you like to fill these delightful cookies or even canned apple pie filling would work.  But do stop by and take a look at Tony's jams.  They are perfect with on your peanut butter sandwich or slathered on toast.  Here are some other ways that I use his jam.......

I don't know whether you would enjoy this book but you will enjoy these cookies.  Happy Holidays to you and yours......




Desserts, Cookies, Apple,
Desserts, Cookies
American
Yield: 36 Cookies
Author: Wendy Klik
Apple Pie Thumbprints

Apple Pie Thumbprints

Sugar Cookies with an Apple Pie Jam filling are sure to be a hit at the Christmas Cookie Walk or Bake Sale Fundraiser this holiday season.
Prep time: 30 MinCook time: 12 MinInactive time: 30 HourTotal time: 30 H & 42 M

Ingredients

  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/4 c. flour
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • half pint of Apple Pie Jam (or your favorite jam)

Instructions

  1. In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
  2. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour just until incorporated. Stir in the salt and baking soda. Increase speed and mix until well combined.
  3. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
  4. Using a small cookie scoop, roll the dough into balls and place on cookie sheets lined with parchment or silicone mats, spacing 2" apart. Use your thumb to make indentations in the cookies and then fill the indentation with jam.
  5. Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 12 minutes, until cookies are golden brown around the edges. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

93.97

Fat (grams)

4.38 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

2.62 g

Carbs (grams)

12.32 g

Fiber (grams)

0.21 g

Net carbs

12.11 g

Sugar (grams)

6.3 g

Protein (grams)

1.56 g

Sodium (milligrams)

51.28 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

20.44 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.