Sunday, October 29, 2023

Magically Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake and a Book Review #SundayFunday #LitHappens

This Magically Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake takes only 2 ingredients.  Yes, you heard me right....2 ingredients.

Pumpkin Spice Cake

All Hallows Eve is nearly upon us.  In Horror, I realized I still had not used my Jack O' Lantern pan.  I have a kitchen and garage full of specialty pans, tools, and gadgets.  I try to use them at least once a year so I am not overcome with guilt and horror LOL.

Sunday Funday Logo

So, when Cam of Culinary Cam,  announced that we were serving up Halloween Treats for this week's Sunday Funday event, I knew I wanted to use this pan.  What I didn't know was what I was going to bake in it.

Spindles End

I was listening to Spindles End by Robin McKinley for our Lit Happens group which is also administered by Camilla.  This novel was chosen by Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures.  We take turns each month choosing a book to read and posting discussion questions on our Facebook page.

There is no requirement to be a blogger nor to write a review or share a recipe inspired by the book, however, I find myself usually doing both whenever I read or listen to a book.

This is a take on the fairy tale Snow White.  When I was young I would watch a cartoon called Fractured Fairy Tales and this story brought back some fun memories.  It is the story of Snow White with a twist.  

In this version, Snow White is given to a young fairy, Katraiona,  who takes her back to the Gig where she lives and calls her Rosie.  Katraiona and her aunt, who is a very powerful fairy, love Rosie and are determined to keep her safe from the curse placed upon her by Pernicia, an evil fairy.

Katraiona has her hands full with Rosie who has a lot of energy and curiosity.  During one portion of the book, she lures Rosie home with the promise of food.  Rosie wants cake but is happy with the Gingerbread that she is given instead.

This made me decide to make a gingerbread.  Remembering the Sunday Funday event and the Jack O' Lantern pan I googled gingerbread recipes with pumpkin and found this "Magically" easy cake that takes only a boxed cake mix and a can of pumpkin.  I thought that this magic fit with the theme of the novel and Halloween perfectly.

Magically Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake

When I went to the grocers, they did not have a gingerbread cake/cookie mix so I ended up with a spice cake mix.  It was just as Magical as a gingerbread cake and I am happy to share the recipe with you.

Foodies Read Bingo

Heather of Based on a True Story, hosts a group called Foodies Read, and decided to try a new theme for our group by making a Bingo board for us to fill out. 

Regular readers of this blog are very familiar with Foodies Read as I link up to it several times a month and many members of our Lit Happens group and Cook the Books group also belong to Foodies Read.

I am striving to have a coverall of this bingo card by the end of the year.  Thus far I have shared.....
I wasn't sure which category I would mark for this novel, but finally settled on Set on a Farm or Vineyard, as Katraiona, Rosie, and their Aunt lived on a farm in the Gig and Rosie was often sent out to feed the chickens, milk the cow or gather vegetables and herbs.

This cake is so Magically Easy that you still have time to make it or one of these other great Treats being shared today before Halloween is past.  Enjoy!!




Desserts, Cake, Holidays, Spice, Pumpkin, Quick, Easy
Desserts
American
Yield: 9 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Magically Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake

Magically Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake

This Magically Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake takes only 2 ingredients. Yes, you heard me right....2 ingredients.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 25 MinTotal time: 30 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 box Spice Cake Mix
  • 1 c. pumpkin puree

Instructions

  1. Place dry mix and pumpkin into a bowl and use electric beaters or a stand mixer to beat until combined and fluffy.
  2. Batter will be very thick, spread into an 8" square pan or it's equivalent and bake in a preheated 350* oven for 25 minutes, until a skewer removes cleanly.
  3. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or top with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Seasoned Mom

Nutrition Facts

Calories

260.29

Fat (grams)

8.01 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

2.03 g

Carbs (grams)

45.05 g

Fiber (grams)

1.77 g

Net carbs

43.29 g

Sugar (grams)

27.68 g

Protein (grams)

2.83 g

Sodium (milligrams)

378.77 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

0 mg

8 comments:

  1. I love the bingo card concept of approaching recipes...and yeah, I might be a bit jealous of your pan collection. I forced myself to stop collecting them years ago because we aren't huge cake people. The pumpkin one is adorable...and the cake sounds truly magical!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake is adorable. What a great idea for Halloween and easy too. I'l pass this on to my kids to make with the grandkids!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cake mix somewhere and just roasted a bunch of kabocha squash. I will definitely make this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy and so good Camilla. Perfect with your morning coffee.

      Delete
  4. A easy and quick recipe for a cake loved this Jack O' Lantern pan a cute one!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.