Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Cherry Winks #ChristmasCookieWeek

 These classic cookies from Pillsbury make an appearance on my cookie trays every Christmas.  They are festive and delicious.  They freeze well, pack up well for sending and gifting, and are great "fill the cookie jar" treats.

Cherry Winks

Welcome to Day 2 of Christmas Cookie Week......

This event is hosted by Jolene of Jolene's Recipe Journal.  Hosting a week-long event is a lot of hard work.  I appreciate being able to participate and share cookies with my readers all week long.  Not only that but I get some great inspiration for new cookies each year.  Last year I was awe-struck by a recipe for the Pinwheel Cookies that I shared with you yesterday. Let's see what the others are sharing today......
Cherry Winks

These cookies have been a tradition in our family since my children were babies.  I received Pillsbury's Bake Off Cookie Book as a Christmas Gift when I was a young Mom in 1973.  This recipe immediately became a keeper as did this Strawberry Almond Torte.  

Cherry Winks

These cookies may already be a tradition in your household but if you haven't had the opportunity to taste these scrumptious cherry, nut, and date-filled treats, you should give them a try.  I have a feeling that they will soon be a regular on your Christmas Cookie Platters.





Desserts, Cookies, Christmas, Holidays
Desserts, Cookies
American
Yield: 58 cookies
Author: Wendy Klik
Cherry Winks

Cherry Winks

These classic cookies from Pillsbury make an appearance on my cookie trays every Christmas. They are festive and delicious. They freeze well, pack up well for sending and gifting, and are great "fill the cookie jar" treats.
Prep time: 20 MinCook time: 12 MinTotal time: 32 Min

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 c. flour
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 c. vegetable shortening
  • 2 T. milk
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. chopped pecans
  • 1 c. chopped dates
  • 1/3 c. drained and chopped Maraschino Cherries + more for topping
  • 1 c. finely chopped cornflake cereal

Instructions

  1. In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, milk, shortening, and eggs on low speed until combined. Increase speed and mix well.
  2. Decrease speed and stir in the dates, cherries, and nuts until well blended.
  3. Place the cornflakes into a shallow bowl. Use a small cookie scoop to make uniform balls of dough. Dip the top of each ball into the cornflake crumbs and then place onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  4. Top each with a quarter of a Maraschino cherry and bake in a preheated 375* oven for 12 minutes.

Notes

Adapted from Pillsbury

Nutrition Facts

Calories

81.23

Fat (grams)

4.23 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.85 g

Carbs (grams)

10.35 g

Fiber (grams)

0.57 g

Net carbs

9.78 g

Sugar (grams)

5.75 g

Protein (grams)

0.98 g

Sodium (milligrams)

23.7 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

5.7 mg

4 comments:

  1. I had never heard of these cookies before I made them years ago for another blogger's post. They were AMAZING! Thanks for the reminder that I need to make them again! I'll take any excuse I can get to buy a box of Corn Flakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could just eliminate the nuts completely Jolene.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.