Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Bisquick Cookies to enoy South of the Buttonwood Tree

These cookies come together in a snap using Bisquick baking mix as the base.  In less than 20 minutes you have enough snacks to add to school lunches or serve as after-school treats for the week.

Bisquick Cookies

I had never heard of Bisquick Cookies until I read South of the Buttonwood Tree.  A mention of them in this novel had me heading for a Google Search.
South of the Buttonwood Tree

This is the second novel I have read by Heather Webber.  The first was Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe and I shared a recipe for Zucchini Cream Pie along with my review.

This novel, like the first I read, is set in a small southern town and has magical, mystical elements woven throughout the story.  One of the threads tells of the Buttonwood Tree where people go to seek answers to their questions which come in the form of words on a button that appears in the "rabbit hole".

The story starts with Blue Bishop finding a baby at the base of the Buttonwood Tree with a button that says "Give the baby to Blue Bishop". The Bishop family has long been despised in this small town, causing Blue to carry shame and guilt.  

Sarah Grace, on the other hand, comes from a well-respected and well-loved family in this small town that has never forgiven the Bishops for swindling them out of their family home.  

Sarah Grace and Blue, however, share a secret and a friendship of which nobody else in town is aware.

This novel is one of acceptance and forgiveness.  It is an enjoyable and easy read.  It was perfect on audible as I took my daily walks.  


Foodies Read Bingo

Heather of Based on a True Story, hosts a group called Foodies Read.  Regular readers of this blog are very familiar with Foodies Read as I link up to it several times a month.

Heather decided to try a new theme for our group by making a Bingo board for us to fill out.  How fun is that? 

The contest runs between September 1 and December 31 of this year.  This is the second book I am reviewing this month; the only category it fits, other than linking up to Foodies Read,  is Library Book.  I ordered this book from the library's audio section and listened to it during my morning walks.

The first book I marked on the board was Cooking from the Spirit.  I shared that review and a recipe for Lemon Pepper Potato Wedges yesterday.

In the novel I am reviewing today, Blue turns to baking when she is upset or troubled.  Baking, especially baking cookies, is a comfort to her.  It brings back sweet memories of happier times with her mother, who taught her to bake, often making cookies from Bisquick.

I found this recipe for Bisquick Chocolate Chip Cookies from Betty Crocker when I was intrigued by that memory.  I was astounded at how delicious they were and surprised that I hadn't heard of them before as my Mom was all about convenience in the kitchen when I was growing up.


 



Desserts, Cookies, Chocolate Chips
Desserts
American
Yield: 32 Cookies
Author: Wendy Klik
Bisquick Cookies with Chocolate Chips

Bisquick Cookies with Chocolate Chips

These cookies are quick to throw together starting with Bisquick baking mix. In less than 30 minutes you have a delicious lunch box or after school snack.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 10 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 2 c. Bisquick baking mix
  • 1 c. chocolate chips

Instructions

  1. In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add the vanilla and egg and beat until creamy.
  3. Turn speed to low and mix in the baking mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  4. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, place dough on an ungreased cookie sheet, spaced about 2" apart. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 8-10 minutes until set and edges are golden brown.

Notes

Adapted from recipe by Betty Crocker

Nutrition Facts

Calories

114.03

Fat (grams)

5.76 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.15 g

Carbs (grams)

15.14 g

Fiber (grams)

0.16 g

Net carbs

14.98 g

Sugar (grams)

10.78 g

Protein (grams)

0.81 g

Sodium (milligrams)

122.3 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

12.86 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.