Saturday, December 2, 2023

A Book Review and the Weekly Menu

I read another Dean Koontz novel as we drove from Michigan to our son's home in Virginia for Thanksgiving.  


After Death
Like many of Dean Koontz's books, this one deals with Governmental Scientific Experiments that have gone wrong.  The protagonist is a hero who is trying to stop rogue governmental agents from destroying the world.  There is a strong female lead, a very smart child, and at least one animal, normally a dog, who helps to save the day.

I don't care that all of his novels are similar.  It is a comfort to me to know that I can read or listen to one of his novels and know it will hold my interest and have me rooting for the good guys even though I know that they always win in the end.  

Cheese Plate and a Bottle of Wine

Another frequent occurrence in Koontz's novels is delicious expensive wines and amazing-sounding food.  This book was no exception and when the protagonist, Michael Mace, head of security at a top-secret research facility awakens to find himself risen from the dead, he sets off to right the wrongs of the world.   

The first safe house in which he lands has, of course, a bottle of Caymus wine and specialty cheeses in the refrigerator.  Michael makes himself a snack and enjoys the view from the mansion in which he has found refuge, even if only for a short while.

My son always splurges and buys me a bottle of Caymus when I visit. This visit was no exception. When we are driving through Gettysburg on the way to my son's we like to stop by The Lion Potter.  It is a wonderful break during the drive and I ooh and aahhh over all the gorgeous amazing pottery made by owners, Junko and David Young, while I visit with their son, whose name I cannot remember but whose friendliness and charm I cannot forget.

The store also carries local farm fresh produce, honey, jams, artisan cheese, pickles, etc.  This is what I normally buy.  This visit they had some scrumptious pears.  I also bought some cheese and 2 jars of honey as Chuck told me the last batch of honey I brought him from there was the best honey he had ever enjoyed.

I made up a cheese plate that I enjoyed with my wine and the others enjoyed with their beverage of choice.  You didn't think I was going to share the wine, did you?  I did let Frank have a glass with me LOL.  Chuck doesn't drink alcohol and Shelly had a beer as we snacked and played a game of Shut the Box.

Bingo Card

Heather of Based on a True Story, hosts a group called Foodies Read and decided to try a new theme for our group by making a Bingo board for us to fill out. I am having fun with this challenge. To date, I have shared the following recipes and reviews:

I also shared a recipe for Pork and Mandarin Tacos when I reviewed Little Red House during this challenge but for which I had no available category.  I am working on getting a coverall before this challenge is over.  I chose to mark off the Author of a Different Gender category for this novel.

It is hard to believe that it is December already!!  It is going to be a very busy next few weeks and my Weekly Menus will vary according to our schedule.  Sunday we are singing at Mass in the morning and then going caroling with the choir in the afternoon.  We will stop for dinner after caroling.

The rest of the week will be spent, decorating the house, planning the menu for our upcoming Santa Party, getting the gifts bought and wrapped for the Santa Party, and getting the groceries that will be needed once my menu is planned.  The Santa Party is December 10th and is one of my favorite gatherings each year as my siblings and their children and grandchildren all gather together. 

So here is the Weekly Menu for this week.  I'm keeping it simple so I can concentrate on the upcoming festivities.  What's going on around your house this week?

Soup Saturday 
Lasopy
Dinner Rolls

Sunday
Out for dinner after caroling

Meatless Monday
Macaroni and Cheese

Tuesday
Corn Flake Pork Chops
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans

Wednesday
Out before Choir Practice

Thursday
Greek Chicken 
Lemon Potatoes
Greek Salad

Friday
Homemade Fish Sticks
French Fries
Cole Slaw




2 comments:

  1. Wendy, I realized, reading your review that I don't think I have ever read any of his books. Then went to the library site and couldn't believe how many books Dean Koontz has written. What a prolific author! So what would you say would be the best introduction to his work, this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia, the first novel by Koontz that I read, still remains my favorite. It is called Watchers. Let me know what you think.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.