Sunday, November 19, 2023

Pork and Mandarin Orange Tacos and a Book Review #SundayFunday

Teriyaki pork stuffed inside flour tortillas and topped with an Asian Slaw that includes Mandarin Oranges is a fun, easy change to your Taco Tuesday meal.

Pork and Mandarin Orange Tacos

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are sharing recipes that feature Mandarin Oranges today......
Sue of Palatable Pastime is hosting this week and invited us to share recipes for Mandarin Oranges that are currently in season and widely available.  I always have a bowl of them on my counter when they are in season.  They are a great snack and as easy to grab as a piece of candy or cookie that could be sitting on the counter instead.

Let's take a look at some other ways you can enjoy these Little Cuties.......


Asian Salad with Mandarin Oranges

I used a packaged Asian Salad for these tacos and added some canned mandarins to it for an easy peasy and quick delicious dinner.  

Teriyaki Pork Tacos

One pork loin chop was perfect for making these tacos for 2 people, allowing 2 tacos for me and 3 tacos for my husband.  I had enough salad left to send with my daughter for lunch the following day.

Little Red House

I decided to make tacos because I was listening to Little Red House during my daily walks.  This is an eerie, disturbing book about a rich, crazy mother who drives one child to run away into a very dangerous and deadly situation and then adopts 2 more daughters and works to destroy their lives even reaching beyond the grave to do so.

One of the daughters, Constance, finds herself in a small town in New Mexico where her mother had bequeathed her a ramshackle old house.  While in town to buy cleaning supplies, Constance stops at a restaurant where she runs into an acquaintance whom she visits with as they eat tacos.  Constance learns that there have been numerous killings of young women in this town.  When she tries to learn more she is met with silence and warnings that she should mind her own business.  

As Constance digs deeper she finds herself in peril.  Will she be the next transient female to be labeled a "throwaway" with no one to know or care that she's been tortured, raped and killed?  How is her mother involved in these serial killings?  

The book was good enough that I wanted to continue to listen to see what would happen next and to learn what was the end story of these three daughters who got caught up in their mother's cruelty and madness.  I don't know that I would recommend it as it was disturbing enough to me to bring back some PTSD from my days on the police force.

There were numerous mentions of tacos in this novel which is not surprising as it is set in New Mexico. Of course, they were more Mexican than the Asian Tacos that I am sharing today but that is Life as a Blogger here on the Farm.

I have been playing Foodies Read Bingo with Heather from Foodies Read.  My card is nearly full and there were no categories for which I could apply this book.  I am linking up with the others though so stop by and see what we are all reading this month.




Entrees, Pork, Tacos, Asian, Teriyaki,
Entrees, Pork
Asian Fusion
Yield: 2 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Teriyaki Pork Tacos

Teriyaki Pork Tacos

Teriyaki pork stuffed inside flour tortillas and topped with an Asian Slaw that includes Mandarin Oranges is a fun, easy change to your Taco Tuesday meal.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 4 MinTotal time: 9 Min

Ingredients

  • 2 t. olive oil
  • 1 (about 1/2 lb) pork loin chop, sliced into thin strips
  • 1/4 c. teriyaki sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 5 (taco size) flour tortillas
  • 1 pkg Asian Chopped Salad Kit with Dressing
  • 1 (10 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained

Instructions

  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
  2. Add the pork and garlic. Cook, stirring, until no longer pink.
  3. Stir in the teriyaki sauce and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally while you open and prepare the salad according to package directions, adding the mandarins before tossing with the dressing.
  4. Divide the meat between the flour taco shells and top with desired amount of salad.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found in Taste of Home.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

456.94

Fat (grams)

15.43 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

4.49 g

Carbs (grams)

54.94 g

Fiber (grams)

4.19 g

Net carbs

50.72 g

Sugar (grams)

18.19 g

Protein (grams)

23.75 g

Sodium (milligrams)

1974.53 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

44.89 mg

12 comments:

  1. I have never made pork tacos Wendy! Thanks for the inspiration will make these delicious tacos soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That novel sounds scary! Hopefully those delicious sounding tacos won't cause too much ptsd, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More disturbing and suspenseful than scary but the tacos soothed my soul.

      Delete
  3. Love stories full of mysteries and turns and twists. I still have to get use to the idea of listening to stories. Like the idea of having tacos with Asian flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading but I also enjoy listening to books while I walk or work around the house.

      Delete
  4. The recipe looks delicious. I am not sure I could stomach the book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second of her books that I have read. Similar but the first was not quite as disturbing.

      Delete
  5. The tacos are right up my alley. The book? Not so much....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tacos are so easy and delicious....the book.....not so much LOL

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.