Thursday, December 7, 2023

Cinnamon Shortbread #ChristmasCookieWeek

These scrumptious shortbread cookies are even better with a touch of cinnamon in the dough and a sprinkling of spiced sugar on top.

Cinnamon Shortbread

Welcome to Day 4 of Christmas Cookie Week.  It's hard to believe it's nearly over......

This week-long event is being hosted by Jolene of Jolene's Recipe Journal.  I hope you have been enjoying all the wonderful shared cookies and have gotten some great ideas for your holiday baking. Let's take a look at today's cookie platter................
Cinnamon Shortbread

I know that I have told you this several times.....but I LOVE shortbread.  If I could only have one kind of cookie for the rest of my life I would pick shortbread.  This shortbread recipe includes all the warm winter flavors that I love.  Cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves add a warm touch to this classic cookie.

Cinnamon Shortbread

These cookies were my personal favorite that I made this year for our 2023 Christmas Cookies Week event.  Frank's favorite was the Yuletide Bliss Pinwheel that I shared on Monday.  Marissa's favorite is being shared tomorrow.  

Desserts, Cookies, Shortbread, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves
Desserts
American
Yield: 22 cookies
Author: Wendy Klik
Cinnamon Shortbread

Cinnamon Shortbread

These scrumptious shortbread cookies are even better with a touch of cinnamon in the dough and a sprinkling of spiced sugar on top.
Prep time: 20 MinCook time: 20 MinInactive time: 30 MinTotal time: 1 H & 10 M

Ingredients

  • 3 sticks butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar, divided
  • 1 T. warm water
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 3 1/2 c. flour
  • 2 1/2 t. cinnamon, divided
  • large pinch of salt
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg
  • 1/4 t. cloves

Instructions

  1. In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter, 1 cup of sugar, water, and vanilla on low speed, just until combined.
  2. Sift together the flour, 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, and salt. With the mixer still on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture until incorporated. Increase speed and mix until the dough comes together into clumps.
  3. Turn onto a floured surface and pat into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  4. Roll the dough to about a 1/2" thickness. Cut into desired shapes, I used stars and snowmen, and place onto cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment or silicone. The number of cookies will depend on the cutters you choose.
  5. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for about 20 minutes, until edges start to brown.
  6. While cookies bake, combine the remaining sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a small bowl and set aside.
  7. Remove the cookies from the oven and generously sprinkle with the sugar mixture while they are still hot. Leave cookies on cookie sheets to cool. Shake off any excess sugar before serving at room temperature.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found in Delish Holiday Cookies

Nutrition Facts

Calories

236.91

Fat (grams)

12.75 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

7.96 g

Carbs (grams)

29.05 g

Fiber (grams)

0.71 g

Net carbs

28.34 g

Sugar (grams)

13.71 g

Protein (grams)

2.19 g

Sodium (milligrams)

101.47 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

33.13 mg

4 comments:

  1. Love shortbread, so easy to make! My niece will love doing the cutouts and getting to shake on the extra goodness after they are baked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that we're both talking about our favorite cookies today! Shortbread cookies are a pretty great choice too. One that I love too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...and I am sitting here eating a thumbprint as I look at these comments.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.