Monday, October 23, 2023

Salad topped with Lobster and a Review of The Island

I had originally named this post Lobster Salad, however, not wanting to confuse any readers who might be searching for a traditional lobster salad made with mayo, celery, and herbs, I changed the title to Salad topped with Lobster.

Salad topped with Lobster

Tender mixed greens topped with Lobster Claw Meat and drizzled with a Citrus Dressing is a wonderful light lunch or first course.

I was inspired to make this salad after reading The Island by Elin Hilderbrand.  

The Island

This novel travels to a remote Island off of Nantucket.  Chess, engaged to be married to a very, nice, decent guy, awakens one day to the knowledge that she doesn't want to marry him, nor does she wish to stay in the fast-paced, high-stress career she has chosen.  

She quits her job, breaks off the engagement and calls her mother requesting that they head to the "beach" house for a couple of weeks while she decides what she wants to do with her life.

The timing couldn't be better, her mom, Birdie, was caught up in a whirlwind romance that suddenly went quiet. This is her first relationship since divorcing her husband of many years.  She calls the caretaker/handyman who looks after the beach house and has him start getting it ready.

Not quite sure how she is going to deal with Chess' serious and scary depression, Birdie contacts her other daughter, Tate and her sister, India to join them at the beach house.  The four of them decide to stay the entire summer.

During their stay, they deal with demons both past and present.  They confront past secrets and hurts in their relationships with others, each other and themselves.  They argue, they hug, they scream, they listen, they give the silent treatment and they talk and cry incessently.  

They find comfort in each other, in their memories, in their plans for the future and, of course, in food prepared and shared.  Foods that they always enjoyed at the beach house when it was their annual destination.

Salad Topped with Lobster pin

There were a lot of picnics and lobster often played a starring role.  I love lobster and this salad transported me back to memories of Islands as well, however my memories mostly take place in the Caribbean where I enjoy scuba diving.




 Heather of Based on a True Story, hosts a group called Foodies Read.  Regular readers of this blog are very familiar with Foodies Read as I link up to it several times a month. 

Heather decided to try a new theme for our group by making a Bingo board for us to fill out.  I have been having fun with this challenge. To date, I have shared the following recipes and reviews:
I chose to take my mark for this book on the spot reserved for Published before 2023.  This novel was first published in July of 2010.  Stop by and see what the other Foodies are reading this month.

The salad is simply mixed baby greens from the market.  The claw meat was bought in the frozen section and thawed in the refrigerator the night before I made the salads.  The recipe I am sharing with you is for the Citrus Dressing that was drizzled over the top.


Salad Dressings, Condiments,
Condiments
American
Yield: 2 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Citrus Salad Dressing

Citrus Salad Dressing

I created this dressing to drizzle over mixed greens that I topped with Lobster meat. It was perfect!!
Prep time: 3 MinTotal time: 3 Min

Ingredients

  • 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
  • juice and zest of 1/4 navel orange
  • juice and zest of 1/4 lemon
  • 1 t. dijon mustard
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Whisk together the oil, juices, zest, mustard, salt, and pepper until emulsified. Serve over a salad of choice.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

275.69

Fat (grams)

14.65 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

2 g

Carbs (grams)

39.38 g

Fiber (grams)

6.45 g

Net carbs

32.93 g

Sugar (grams)

25.34 g

Protein (grams)

2.86 g

Sodium (milligrams)

128.07 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

0 mg

4 comments:

  1. The book sounds good, and I'm on the reserve list at our library. And, I absolutely love lobster, strangely enough not so easy to come by here. The hotels must grab it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is available here but quite expensive. I bought this claw meat from the freezer section, convenient but costly. Enjoy the novel Claudia.

      Delete
  2. We love lobster! I will have to make this before the boys get home for the holidays...that way it's half the price. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.