Friday, July 8, 2016

Pulled Pork Pizza on the Grill

Last week I shared a recipe for Root Beer Pulled Pork and mentioned that when making pulled pork I like to make a big batch.  It takes the same amount of time and effort while providing you with several days worth of meals.  It freezes well so you can package it in 1 or 2 cup servings and then pull it out to make any number of great recipes like quesadillas, sandwiches or this great pizza that I am sharing with you today.


I started out by taking out an extra roll of  dough that I had made and put into the freezer.  You can use any dough you like.  If you don't have any in your freezer though, save yourself a trip to the store and try this recipe I am sharing. It takes less than an hour so it is perfect for a weeknight meal.


We had gone to the Farmer's Market and I had gotten some wonderful beets that I roasted on the grill and used for a salad that I served along with this pizza.  That left me with these gorgeous greens.  I caramelized some onion and sauteed the greens along with them.


I rolled out the dough and placed it right onto a pizza peel that I had sprinkled with some corn meal to prevent sticking.  I put a layer of sauce, the veggies and then the pulled pork.  I used store bought sauce as I had it in my refrigerator.  You could also use bbq sauce or make your own pizza sauce using this easy peasy recipe.


I sprinkled it with Colby Jack cheese and placed it directly onto the grate of my gas grill that had been preheated to very hot, about 500*.  It only took about 8 minutes to cook with the lid down. Make sure you check it often so the crust doesn't burn. You could also place this on a pizza stone or baking sheet in a hot oven if you prefer.  You will still have a delicious, fast and easy peasy pizza in no time flat.

Pulled Pork Pizza

1 pizza dough, store bought or homemade
1 small sweet onion, sliced
1/2 T. olive oil
1 t. sugar
1 bunch beet greens or other leafy greens, washed and chopped
1 c. prepared pulled pork in BBQ Sauce
1/2 c. pizza sauce or BBQ sauce, store bought or homemade (links included)
1 c. Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
corn meal to spread on pizza peel to prevent sticking


Place the olive oil and onions in a large skillet over med heat, sprinkle with sugar and cook slowly for 10 or 15 minutes until golden brown and tender.  Add the greens with any water still clinging on their leaves and cook until wilted.  Remove from heat and set aside. Roll or hand pull your pizza dough to a 10" round and place onto a pizza peel that has been sprinkled with corn meal. Place the sauce on the dough leaving about a 3/4" edge.  Sprinkle with vegetables over the sauce and then cover with the pulled pork.  Sprinkle the cheese over the top and place onto the grate of a gas grill that has been heated to high (about 500*).  Close the lid to the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes until dough is cooked through, toppings are heated and cheese is melted.  Check after 5 minutes to ensure the crust doesn't burn.  Turn off burners directly under the dough if necessary.  Print Recipe







4 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.