Monday, July 25, 2016

Turkey Chili

Yesterday morning Mary, Natasha and Molly boarded the train to head back home to California.  It is always nice spending time with them and I hope to make a trip to CA in the near future to pick up where we left off.  My brother is spending one more day with us before he hops on his Harley for the trek home.

Since I have started this new eating plan and decided to take better care of myself, I have been flabbergasted that 2 of my friends have been hospitalized with heart problems.  My dear friend, Miss Sue (gives you some idea of how young my children were when we became friends) had a pulmonary embolism that affected her heart.  She underwent surgery and was able to go home today.  My friend, Mary, who I met when I was in 6th grade had a heart attack this morning.  She underwent surgery to have a stent put in and is resting comfortably.  These incidents are giving me a lot of motivation to stick with this eating plan!!



Frank and I went to the Better Health Market this morning to stock up on this week's menu items. Then he went off to the eye doctor and I put tonight's dinner, turkey chili, into the crockpot.  I had a meeting this afternoon at the church so it was ready and waiting when we both got home.  Larnzy and our brother, Dick, went up to watch my nephew, Jack, play horseshoes.  It's a Michigan thing.


OH EM YUM.....this chili is superb.  I get so excited when I can make a healthy meal that makes you wish that you could have seconds or thirds.  I contained myself but Frank helped himself to a second bowl.  I know what I am having for lunch tomorrow.


This recipe is the bomb.  Ground turkey, lots of beans, onion, zucchini, tomatoes and seasonings.  No fat, all organic, filling, healthy and best of all......scrumpdillyicious.

After dinner we went for a walk over to Kim and Kurt's so Frank could meet their new puppy.  I made it through Week 2, Phase 1 with none of the symptoms I suffered the first week so it was obviously just my body detoxing from the caffeine, alcohol and sugar that it was used to getting.  I am feeling pretty good and the scale was down another pound this morning.  Can't beat that!

Turkey Chili
adapted from The Fast Metabolism Diet

1 lb Ground Turkey Breast
1/2  of a Vidalia onion, diced
2 T. fresh parsley leaves, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. chili powder or to taste
1/4 t. chili pepper paste or to taste
1 (15 oz) can black beans
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans (I used ranchero for a little extra zing)
1 (15 oz.) can great northern beans
1 (15 oz) can lentils
1 large zucchini, diced (about 4 cups)
4 cups chunky tomato soup, not milk based (I used 2 different brands)
1 t. seasalt or to taste

Place the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder and chili pepper in a large, non stick skillet over med high heat.  Cook and stir until turkey is browned and onions are tender.  Remove to a slow cooker. Pour the soup into the skillet and cook over med high heat, deglazing the pan by bringing the soup to a boil and scraping up any brown bits that were stuck.  Pour over the turkey.  Rinse the beans and lentils and ad to the slowcooker along with the zucchini.  Stir to combine and cook on high heat for 4- 5 hrs or on low heat for 6-8 hrs.  Stir in salt, taste and season as needed.  Print Recipe







2 comments:

  1. Recipe sounds yummy!! I love chili of any kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really pleased with it Paula. I wasn't sure about the tomato soup base but it worked very well. I did buy chunky style soup but there was definitely enough body to have gotten away with creamy style.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.