Thursday, July 21, 2016

Lemon Zucchini Bundt Cake with Sugared Pansies for #BundtBakers

This month's theme for Bundt Bakers as chosen by Sue of Palatable Pastimes is Secret Garden.  Sue challenges us to make a cake with "flowers, herbs or summer vegetables".


I decided to use a summer fruit, summer vegetable and summer flowers in my bundt cake.  Our son in law has been sending me bags of zucchini and summer squash.  The family that bought our house also gifted us some zucchini.  So I knew that I wanted to use zucchini in this challenge.  I have shared numerous zucchini cake recipes all of which produce wonderfully moist and scrumptious cakes. 

I made these wonderful Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes for my granddaughter's 1st birthday.  We absolutely are in love with this Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake.  I have used other flavors for zucchini breads and muffins but my cakes were always chocolate.  I wanted to change things up a bit so I went with a light lemon flavored cake and bright lemon glaze.


My great niece, Molly, is visiting from California.  She is 6 and completely adorable.  We went out to the garden, cut some pansies and then she painted them with egg whites and sprinkled them with caster sugar so we would have pretty decorations for the cake.  We took it to a family gathering at my sister's house.  It was a huge hit...moist, bright and beautiful. 


Lemon Zucchini Bundt Cake

2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
2 c. sugar
1 c. olive oil
4 eggs
zest of 1 lemon
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 c. shredded zucchini

Glaze:
2 c. powdered sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 T. light cream

Sugared Pansies for garnish if desired

Combine flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.  Set aside.

In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, beat sugar, oil and eggs until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture, using low speed until combined and then increase the speed and beat until smooth.  Beat in the zest and lemon juice.  Reduce speed and stir in the zucchini.

Pour into a bundt pan that has been treated with baking spray.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake removes cleanly.  Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes before turning the cake out onto the rack to cool completely.

Combine the sugar, lemon juice and cream in the small bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.  Beat until smooth.  Add more cream, 1 teaspoon at a time, if needed for desired consistency.  Drizzle over the cooled cake.  Decorate with sugared pansies if desired.  Print Recipe

More "Secret Garden" Bundt Creations

BundtBakers

#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
Here’s a link to participant’s guidelines (just as an FYI):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LyDtgOaFjLaY0QgHjVnL_wFp3T0KY6fabAQMzWFiG0U/edit?usp=sharing





15 comments:

  1. I love those sugared pansies on the cake. What a fantastic way to decorate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish. And pansies are one of my favorite flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea, to sugar off pansies! The cake sounds amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so much fun when you bake and eat with your family. Your cake looks yum especially with the pansies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks being around the table with loved ones is something I cherish.

      Delete
  5. That looks gorgeous! I have to know more about this group. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun group Cam...there is also a Bread Bakers group to which many of us also belong that I think you would like.

      Delete
  6. I love the sugared pansies! They're such a fun ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to be given zucchini from your old home! A beautiful summer garden cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how seasonal this cake is! Zucchini makes for such a moist cake...I just love it :) This is beautiful with the flowers on top! Another fab addition to BB this month.

    Toodles~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those sugared pansies , it's fantastic to decorated .
    There was never combined zucchiniwith lemon . I loved the combo

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.