Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Day 1 of the New Eating Plan

So I made it through Day 1 of the New Eating Plan I told you about last week.  I drank 96 oz of water but no coffee or alcohol.  I ate tons of fruit, veggies and  whole grains and a little bit of protein as is required for Phase 1.  Yesterday and today are the Unwind Days.  By eating in this manner for 2 days at the beginning of the week, your body is supposed to relax the adrenals and allow your hormones to shift back to normal function.

It is hard for me to eat so much fruit.  I am required to eat 1 1/2 c. of fruit, 5 times a day on this phase.  I made steel cut oats for breakfast. letting it cook overnight in the crockpot.  For lunch I had a large spinach salad topped with tuna fish and sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and for dinner we had.......


this absolutely delicious Chicken Broccoli Bowl that I slightly adapted from a recipe in the book The Fast Metabolism Diet.  I liked that the entire group of us could eat and enjoy the same thing for dinner.  I think that one of the benefits of this eating plan is that it is easily adaptable to eating with others which is always important to me.

Before I share the recipe with you I want to talk a bit about how I am feeling after 1 complete day on this eating plan.  I felt pretty good yesterday, however I awoke twice during the night with a headache probably from caffeine withdrawal.  It was gone when I got out of bed but I am feeling a little shaky, weepy and have a touch of nauseau today.  I am sure this is part of the detox process and will, hopefully, soon pass.

I will update you occasionally during this venture I am undertaking and sharing the meals that I make for us during this 28 day period.  I adapted this recipe by changing up some of the veggies and making enough to serve 6 people instead 4.  I also cooked the brown rice much longer than suggested in the book, following the instructions on the package

Chicken Broccoli Bowl
slightly adapted from The Fast Metabolism Diet

4 c. chicken broth
1 c. water
3/4 c. vidalia onions, diced
3/4 c .carrots, diced
3/4 c. celery, diced
2 T. parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. brown rice
1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" chunks
4 c. broccoli crowns
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1/2 lime, juiced
sea salt
pepper
2 T. parsley, minced

Place broth and water in a stock pot or dutch oven.  Add the onions, carrots, celery, parsley and garlic. Bring to a rolling boil, add rice, reduce heat and gently boil, covered, for 40-50 minutes until liquid i absorbed and rice is tender.

While rice is cooking, toss the chicken, broccoli and red pepper with the lime juice, salt, pepper and parsley.  Spread onto a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375* oven for 35-40 minutes, until chicken is cooked and broccoli is tender.

Place a scoop of rice into each bowl and top with the chicken and vegetables. Print Recipe




4 comments:

  1. Good luck Wendy! This first meal sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. It was very good and one that we will eat even after the eating plan is over.

      Delete
  2. Found your recipe on Pinterest and will be trying it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just served it at a dinner party this week. It was a huge hit. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.