Monday, July 25, 2016

Phase 3 Muffins for #MuffinMonday

I started a new eating plan last week following The Fast Metabolism Diet.  The eating plan is broken into 3 phases.  The first phase is on Monday and Tuesday, the second is on Wednesday and Thursday, and the final phase is for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to participate in Muffin Monday this month because you are only allowed to eat certain foods during each phase.  Phase 3, however, allows a lot more options than the other two phases as it lets you eat grains, healthy fats, vegetables, fruit and protein at each meal.  YAY!!!  I was very happy to get to Phase 3 but I am okay with being back on Phase 1 today since I was able to indulge in these lovely muffins over the weekend.

I found this recipe at DAMY Health.  I went through the list of ingredients and was thrilled to see each one was allowed during this phase.  I actually adapted the recipe a bit by adding zucchini to the muffins because my plan required a vegetable to be included in the morning meal.  This recipe made 9 full size muffins.  It is gluten free and grain free.  It is the first muffin I have made of this sort.  I wasn't sure what to expect.



They were moist, with a nice crumb.  That being said...This was my first time working with Stevia.  It made the muffins cloyingly sweet with a bitter aftertaste.  When I make these muffins again (off the eating plan) I will use honey or maple syrup for the sweetener.  With that change in mind, I can reccomend these muffins for those who are trying to eat naturally and gluten free.

Phase 3 Muffins
adapted from DAMY Health

2 c. almond flour
2 eggs + 2 egg whites
1/4 c. stevia   honey or maple syrup
1/2 t. baking soda
1 T. apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
1 t. vanilla
2 T. olive oil
1 c. blueberries
1 c. shredded zucchini

Place all ingredients except blueberries and zucchini in the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix until well blended, stir in the blueberries and zucchini.  Divide between 9 muffin cups that have been lined with cupcake papers.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center removes cleanly.  Print Recipe

Many More Muffins





 #MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

11 comments:

  1. That's interesting that this plan allows Stevia. I don't care for artificial sweeteners either. On Paleo they encourage the use of honey! These muffins sound wonderful. And 1/4 cup of Stevia sounds like a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was way too much but I think if you substitute with honey or maple syrup they would be delicious.

      Delete
  2. Now I'll have to go back and read all about this diet that you're on. I'm intrigued. I can't live without grains though so I suspect those other phases would be tough for me. Nice muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of Stevia! You are so good sticking with your plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way too much stevia Karen. It was my first time working with it so I added the amount called for of honey. Big mistake LOL. But I think with the honey or syrup it would be just the right amount.

      Delete
  4. I've never baked with stevia either but, hey, you don't try something, you won't learn, right? Perhaps try them again with less stevia and something else that's allowed that will make up for the decrease in liquid. On the plus side, they look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the only other thing allowed is xylitol and I have never worked with that either but I don't see how substituting a natural sweetner like honey is going to derail the train here on my eating plan so next week I am making the muffins with honey.

      Delete
  5. Love that you found something you could make, enjoy, and share today! Such terrific and healthy ingredients you incorporated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm glad you were able to join us this month. Good to hear your review of Stevia, I've not used it before (granted, I've not had desire to, but was always curious).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, reading more about it, I should have reduced the amount by quite a bit. Perhaps that would have helped the bitter aftertaste. Going to pick up some xylitol today and give that a try in my next recipe experiment. I will let you know how it turns out Lauren.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.