Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tests, Teams and Try it Tuesday

I had to go in for a bone density test this morning.  No problems, just something my doc thought we should do since I have never had one.  There was really not much to it.  I hope I got an A!!

Then I headed over to the Food Pantry and met up with the Backpack team.  We have it down to a science now and it only takes about an hour or two to kick that out anymore.  Afterwards a few of us went and had lunch.

Then I came home and got to work on my Pizza for this month which is also a new recipe for Try it Tuesday.
I am adapting a Betty Crocker recipe that I found using Bisquick as the dough.  The original recipe calls for pepperoni and cheese.  I am using ham and adding some veggies to ours.


So here is what you will need for my version of Pizza Bake.





Pizza Bake
adapted from Betty Crocker 4 ingredient pizza bake

2 (7oz) pouches of Bisquick Complete buttermilk biscuit mix
1 c. water
Double batch recipe pizza sauce (see below) or 2 (14 oz) jar pizza sauce
16 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 small onion, diced
12 oz. diced ham
3 c. Mozzarella cheese, shredded

Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix and water until soft dough forms. Drop half of dough by spoonfuls evenly in bottom of baking dish (dough will not completely cover bottom of dish).  Saute mushrooms and onions in 1 T. butter until onions are translucent and the mushrooms are softened and releasing liquid.  Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.

Drizzle about 2 cups pizza sauce over dough. Arrange 1/2 of the diced ham and 1/2 of the vegetables evenly over sauce. Top with 1 1/2 cup of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining dough, pizza sauce, ham and cheese.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares to serve.  Print Recipe


It looked good and it tasted....okay.  I thought it needed twice as much sauce and Frank thought it needed more of everything except crust. I have gone back and tweaked the recipe to make these changes so the recipe printed above is with the extra ingredients.




It only takes a few ingredients and a moment to throw together pizza sauce.
But feel free to use a jar of sauce if you want to save the time it takes for the flavors to blend.


Pizza Sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
3/4 c. warm water
3 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T honey
3/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. each oregano, thyme and basil
salt and pepper to taste 
dash cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and let sit for 30-60 minutes to allow flavors to blend.  Print Recipe

Linking up with Thrifty Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.