Sunday, July 10, 2016

Pina Colada Trifle for #SundaySupper

We are celebrating Coconut today in honor of National Pina Colada Day that is celebrated on July 10th each year.  We were invited to this party by Constance of Cosmopolitan Cornbread who asked us to bring along our favorite Coconut Creation for #SundaySupper this week.


When I think of Pina Coladas and coconut, it takes me right back to the Tropics.  Oh how I would love to be sitting on a sandy beach right now, enjoying a Pina Colada after a day of scuba diving.....ooops...sorry about that....I got distracted.

But seriously, I love tropical flavors....coconut, strawberries, pineapple, rum.....so I decided to share all those flavors with you today in a wonderful and gorgeous Pina Colada Trifle. I love making trifles because they looks so beautiful and people are so impressed when you present them.  Nobody needs to know just how easy they are to put together.  It can be our little secret.


Start off by whipping some heavy cream.  You can sweeten it if you want but this trifle is plenty sweet enough without any added sugar to the cream.


Then make your instant pudding according to the directions on the package.  It will take 5 minutes to set to soft serve.


During that 5 minutes you will cube up a pound cake, put it into a bowl and sprinkle it with some coconut rum.  Set it aside and let the rum soak in while you slice up some strawberries and pineapple. I had bought some coconut that was already toasted but if you need to toast the coconut you will want to do that as your first step so that it has time to cool before using.


You have been in the kitchen less than 10 minutes now and it is already time to start constructing the trifle.  Start by placing half of the cake in the bottom of the trifle bowl.  Sprinkle that with half the strawberries, cover that with some toasted coconut and then half of the pineapple.  Add a layer of pudding and a layer of whipped cream, using half of each.  Repeat this and then sprinkle some additional coconut on top.  That's it!  15 minutes and it is ready to go into the refrigerator and be brought out after dinner to wow your family and guests.


This is the perfect ending to a Tropical themed dinner or Luau.  I took this particular trifle over to our friend's, Kim and Kurt's, when they had us over for dinner.  We spent a lovely evening on the patio with dinner and drinks and then enjoyed this perfect ending to a perfect evening.

Pina Colada Trifle

1 pint heavy cream
1 (5 oz) pkg instant vanilla pudding
3 c. milk
1 loaf pound cake
1/3 c. coconut rum
2 c. strawberries
fruit from half of a pineapple
3/4 c. flaked coconut, toasted

Place cream in bowl of stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment.  Beat on low speed until cream starts to thicken, increase speed and beat until light and fluffy.  Set aside.

Place pudding mix and milk into another large bowl.  Whisk until pudding is dissolved, about 2 minutes.  Set aside for 5 minutes until pudding is soft serve thickness.

Cut the pound cake into cubes and place in a bowl.  Sprinkle with the rum.  Toss to coat and set aside.

Hull and slice the strawberries, set aside.  Peel, core and cut half of the pineapple into bite size pieces.

Place half of the pound cake into the bottom of a trifle bowl.  Sprinkle with the strawberries and 1/3 c. toasted coconut.  Add half of the pineapple and cover ingredients with half of the pudding followed by a layer containing half of the whipped cream.  Repeat, ending with the whipped cream.  Sprinkle top of trifle with remaining coconut.  Print Recipe

Creative Coconut Creations

Great Starts
Dive in with Sides and Appetizers
Coco-Nutty Main Dishes
"Col-lots-a" Desserts
Sweet to Sip Beverages
Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.




13 comments:

  1. Trifles are one of my favorite ways to eat dessert! I love the coconut rum in your ingredients, now I have a good excuse to go buy more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my.....I am in big trouble....I never knew I needed an excuse to by coconut rum LOL

      Delete
    2. Oh my.....I am in big trouble....I never knew I needed an excuse to by coconut rum LOL

      Delete
    3. Oh my, I am in big trouble if I have to have an excuse to buy coconut rum LOL

      Delete
  2. I think that trifles are the perfect way to serve cake in the summer. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Connie. Thanks so much for hosting this month.

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous trifle!!! And perfect when you need an easy, impressive dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see a recipe like this, I am reminded I need a trifle bowl! Great dessert, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra. Trifle bowls are worth their weight in gold.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.