Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Deviled Egg Guacamole for #GuacSquad

Last week I told you about a fun event that I am participating in called #GuacSquad12.  My friend and fellow blogger, Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla, was approached by Casabella and asked to find bloggers who would be willing to try out a new product that they were marketing.  Cam agreed and invited several of us to join her in this endeavour.  Cam then arranged to have Melissa's produce send us some gorgeous, perfectly ripe avocados and Garden Gourmet send us a slew of great herbs to use in our recipes as well.  You can learn all about our sponsors and the great giveaway they are providing at my preview post.


We were each assigned a day and asked to create a new guacamole recipe.  My first thought was to stick to tropical flavors and add some pineapple or mango to the guac for a fun treat.  Then my hens went into overtime and I found myself with 7 dozen eggs.  I gave away 5 dozen and hard boiled a dozen.  While wondering what to do with all of these eggs, it struck me that I still needed to create a guac recipe.  My Deviled Egg Guacamole was born!


I cut 5 of the eggs in half.  I placed the yolks into a bowl with some cilantro paste and chunky garlic paste, provided by Gourmet Garden, salt and pepper, mashing it all together.


I mixed this in with some of the avocados that I had preserved upon delivery from Melisa's Produce. I returned the remaining preserved avocados to the freezer for the next batch of guac I make.


I diced up the egg whites and tossed it with some onion, tomatoes and jalapenos in another bowl.


I added the guacamole mixture to the egg white mixture and mixed it all together.  Sprinkled it with the juice of half a lime, keeping in mind that the preserved avocado had already had lime added to it. Should you be using fresh avocados you will want to add the juice of an entire lime.  Tasted my creation and added a pinch more salt.


We enjoyed some immediately and saved the rest to serve to guests when we were having a BBQ....2 whole days later....


We sealed it up in the Guac Lock provided by Casabella, removing all the air before sealing.  Placed it in the refrigerator and waited to see what would happen.


This is my Deviled Egg Guacamole, two days later.  I filled a serving platter with corn chips, added some of the guac to a small bowl in the center and served it to my guests who seemed to enjoy it....I had also placed out a 7 layer Mexican Dip.  There was dip left but the guac bowl was scraped clean.


The remaining Deviled Egg Guac was resealed in the Guac Lock and put back in the refrigerator.  I pulled it out 4 days later.  That is 6 days total since the guac was first made.  As you can see, there is a little discoloration, but not much.


This time it was served with some multi grain crackers.  It tasted just as wonderful as the very first day I made it, perhaps even better because the flavors had lots of time to meld together.  I served it to my sister in law, Mary, who was visiting from California.  Mary said she wasn't crazy about guacamole and then proceeded to eat most of the bowl that was left.  I would say the recipe and the guac lock container were both very successful.

*Disclosure: While I did recieve complimentary products for the creation of this post, all opinions are my own.*

Deviled Egg Guacamole
created for Casabella

5 eggs, hard boiled
2 t. chunky garlic paste
1/2 T. cilantro paste
salt and pepper to taste
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 small sweet onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
4 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
juice of 1 lime

Halve the hard boiled eggs.  Remove the yolks and place in a small bowl with the garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper.  Mash with a fork, add the avocados and mix together until combined.  Set aside.

Dice the egg whites and place in a large bowl with the tomato, onion and jalapenos.  Add the avocado mixture, sprinkle with the lime juice and toss with clean hands until combined and of the desired consistency.  I don't like to overmix as I like some chunks of avocado.  Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.  Print Recipe


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining me, Wendy! I wish I had a surplus of eggs. Trying to talk Jake into letting me have a few hens at the new house; the city allows five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five would be plenty for your family of 4. We have 9 and that keeps us and our kids households pretty well supplied with extras for friends every once in a while. Thanks for hosting this Cam.

      Delete
  2. Too many eggs. I would like that problem as I've been baking a ton. J would love this! He's a sucker for deviled eggs. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family loves deviled eggs. They disappear as fast as I can make them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this variation! It is right up my alley. Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! My family loves deviled eggs, I can't wait to surprise them with this!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.