Friday, July 15, 2016

Seafood on a Skewer with Chimichurri for #FishFridayFoodies

Our friend, Sue of A Palatable Pastime, is hosting our event this month and chose the fun theme of Seafood on a Stick!

In Sue's own words:
"It's summertime! Let's "stick" to our resolutions of eating more fish and seafood this year! The event will use recipes for kebabs with fish or seafood of any sort, grilled, broiled, baked, ceviche, fish/shrimp balls...you name it. As long as you put a stick in it, it's good."
Being the rebel that I am....I didn't use sticks.....I used skewers.  I beg forgiveness which I am sure will be granted the minute you taste this crazy delicious recipe!!


I adapted this recipe from one by Melissa d'Arabian of Food Network.  I marinated the seafood for about a half an hour in the refrigerator before placing it onto skewers with some summer squash and zucchini.


It only took minutes on a hot grill with the lid closed to cook perfectly.  I used 2 firewires and 2 skewers and then removed all the ingredients from the "sticks" to a  platter, topped them with some chimichurri and served them family style.  This recipe fed 6 adults.

Seafood on a Skewer
adapted from Melissa d'Arabian

1/4 c. sweet onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c. olive oil
2 T. white wine vinegar
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 scallops, side muscle removed
1 lb. halibut, cubed 
1 summer squash, cut into 1" pieces
2 zucchini, cut into 1" pieces

For the Chimichurri:

1 1/4 c. fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
3/4 c. parsley, coarsely chopped
1 T. sweet onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 c. good olive oil
1 T. white wine vinegar
Juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste

In a large glass bowl, combine the onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, lemon, salt and pepper. Add the shrimp, scallops and halibut.  Toss to coat, cover and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.  Remove seafood from marinade and thread onto skewers along with the squash and zucchini. Place on a gas grill that has been preheated to high heat and cook approx. 3-4 minutes per side.

While seafood is cooking place the basil, parsley, onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until ingredients are combined but still chunky. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

Remove seafood from skewers to a platter and top with the Chimichurri for serving.  Print Recipe

More Fish Sticks Fish on Sticks!!








18 comments:

  1. I am so, so glad you started this group, Wendy! What a great recipe from you this month, too. Yes, I chuckled about the FireWires... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything tastes good when you put it on a skewer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious Wendy! It's better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Looks fabulous and perfect for sticking to summer resolutions to eat fish! Hope to join back soon - life is calming down a smidge, finally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that life is calming down for you Christy. We will be very happy to have you back.

      Delete
  5. Between you and Camilla, I now have Fire Wires on my wish list at Amazon. And those skewers look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Sid even I have fire wires on my wish list, delicious chimichurri seafood skewers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be sorry Sneha. They are a wonderful kitchen tool.

      Delete
  7. Chimichurri!!! Yes! Sounds wonderful…especially those scallops! I have been unable to find any great ones at our local market lately…but I keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked mine up at our International Marketplace. They were very nice.

      Delete
  8. These are beautiful!! Love the simple fresh flavors, summer on a plate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love chimichurri and these look tasty- might have to look into some fire wires since they are apparently the thing!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.